Raw Amber

wrek

Feb 18, 2004
NJ
Hello everyone,
I have just returned from a Carribbean cruise. While onboard, the ship had a huge display of Amber from Poland. I have always been interested in raw amber and decided to do a web surf. I had no idea that raw amber can be found in New Jersey. Apparently, it is found in clay pits. I think the Pine Barrens may be a good location to find some.

Does anyone know about sites in the Pine Barrens or New Jersey for finding raw amber?

B

bach2yoga

Well, there certainly is clay in the Pines. There have been a number of clay works places, bricks and terra cotta, in Ocean, Burlington and Atlantic counties over the years.

But I think you might have better luck looking in Central and Northern Jersey than in southern Jersey/Pines. Especially in the
Raritan and Magothy formations in Central New Jersey. There are a number of soil types in the Pines:

http://www.state.nj.us/pinelands/pinecur/psco78.htm

These soil types have more clay than the first five:

http://www.state.nj.us/pinelands/pinecur/psct78.htm

There are areas with clayey substratum, for ex. Woodmansie sand with a clayey substratum, and Lakewood, Atsion, and Lakehurst sand, with varying substratum, some none, others with clayey or others with loamy or firm substratum.

There are various maps that show the soil types for different areas of the pines--one in McCormick's book, and if you go to the NJDEP's GIS and i-map, you'll probably find metadata somewhere in there with the information you are looking for.

I kind of think you'll find more a bit north of the Pines, though because of the nature of the geological formations. But I'm not sure. The other factor to keep in mind is that much of the clay areas in the pines are substratum, which would entail digging, and that might be problematic on state lands, not to mention detrimental to the environment. Certain orchids grow only with particular clay substratums. Those orchids might not be out when you are searching, or you may not recognize them if they are not in flower, and you may innocently but irrepairably destroy an entire population.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

Geez, after that geology lesson I woke at 3 a.m. and said, "idiot, just tell him to look in the clay pits!" :dunce:
Follow the atv trail. :)
But I don't know how much you'd find in an already excavated pit, but who knows, maybe lots. Plenty of them around....
Renee

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
amber

hi newbie,
boy,that would be exciting if there was any amber out there..........i suspect the cynics are right............if there was any to be found ,the woods and pits would be filled with amber hunters. but i will keep my eyes open..............a nice thought for a dull day..........press on,newbie..........karl