Reading South Jersey

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Come out in the beautiful autumn weather, Saturday, November 14, for Reading South Jersey. (Campus Center Bookstore, 12:30pm-2:00pm).

Screen shot 2015-11-13 at 6.07.00 PM.png

Since 2013 Stockton students have been publishing and republishing attractive and well-edited paperback editions of significant but hard to get titles pertaining to South Jersey.

Five illustrious LITT Alums (and one LITT Professor) will be reading entertaining passages from the first history of Atlantic City, a sci-fi thriller written c. 1876, environmental essays c. 1915, and James Still’s stunning autobiography. Come hear a sampling of these works. You may walk away with intriguing reading material.

(A message from Stockton's South Jersey Culture & History Center)​

S-M

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Whither the old books.

I have word envy! Today’s LITT program was truly engaging; thanks Jerseyman. Book passages when read aloud took on new significance, adding context missed by reading alone. Writers a century ago were keen observers and knew how to play their literature with melodic notes. Old South Jersey works remain relevant today, even winning reverence by a younger audience. A science author myself, I lament just how insipid my discipline’s penmanship has become as we transform into more and more resolute academicians. History, natural and cultural, can again be fun if learned scientists and historians read passages from predecessors like Father Beck and Dallas Lore Sharp.

Any other authors in need of reprint?

S-M

Last edited:
Saw on Facebook that the Dr. Still book is back in print (Jerseyman, whatever you did to help that along, nice job!). Of course, I should have just looked here a month ago :).

My copy is from 1973 if I remember right, is this really the first time its been in print in 40 years? It seems amazing.

Just got belated birthday presents from my folks yesterday, including a copy of William Still's book on the Underground Railroad. Can't wait to read it.