Rechargable AA Batteries

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Well to make a long story short, i purchased a digital camera, which sucks up juice from batteries like NJ misquitos on human blood.. So obviously the battery costs get high after buying batteries, after batteries, after batteries..

So I decided that i am going to buy rechargables but i dont know which brands are reliable and not? So could anybody help me out here? Thanks!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have always bought dirt cheap batteries. You can often find them at the dollar store. Home Depot also has good deals on the 20 packs of AA's.

Rechargables have a memory. Eventually you'll get 1-2 pics out of them and they'll be dead. So you'll have to spend $10-20 for a new set of them. I'd rather buy real AA's in bulk and just swap them out when I need.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Brandon,

I came across the same problem when i got my first digital. Once the winter comes, you'll also discover that alkalines drain about 10x faster when its below 50 degrees.

My suggestion is to go out and just buy some energizer NiMH rechargables. Nickel metal hydride has barely any memory effect (i've been using the same batteries since january 2004 and they last forever) and cost like 10 bucks for 4. You can get them at any wal-mart or target and the chargers aren't really expensive either. Make sure you get the 2500mah cause they'll last the longest (but the lower values still last WAY longer in digitals than any alkaline).

As an added bonus, by not running through hordes of batteries, you won't be contributing to all those toxic battery-waste chemicals leaching into the ecosystem you're photographing. Its beneficial to you and its an environmentally responsible alternative to wasteful disposable batteries.

-Bob

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I've been using lithium batteries for a little over a year. Before I'd get maybe a week out of a set of batteries. Now I get 3-4 months. As for rechargeables, I got a pair of Sony AA's a few days ago that I plan on trying out once this set of batteries dies.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I grabbed Duracell NiMH @ Wall Mart, Had 'em on display a 4 pack w/ charger. Bought two sets @ 14.00 each.

I used them in my E-Trex legend for spring turkey hunting. TWO lasted all day in the GPS, We've been using them in the digital camera too...

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I've got 2500 mAh energizers for my GPS. 4 batteries & charger for $18 at Taget. I've been using 'em since JAnuary with great results. As previously mentioned, the do drain so rememeber to recharge them if they haven't been used in awhile.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I bought my camera in September of 2001 and still have the same rechargeable batteries and they still work. With over 5500 shots I would say I got my investment out of them.

Edit: They are the gold and blue Energizer ACCU NIMH.

Guy

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
lol, i needed a cheap camera with a decent ammount of zoom. Bobbleton i just read on a review for the cam they said ''it was cheap feeling and felt like it could break any minute''
Gets me kind of edgy now about the camera

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
bobbleton, i don't know if it's just me but it seems like there are a lot more bad reviews then good. I guess im just going to have to give it a try, is this camera complicated at first?

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
i take it back....I noticed the people who said yes to the camera also said:

"Once you are familiar with the camera and all of its functions, you can make great pictures"

and

"It is not an easy camera - you will need time to learn how to use it and you will have a lot of blurred noisy out of focus pictures in the beggining.
Once you learned how to use it the quality is stunning. I have won some contests with pictures taken with this camera..."

i guess the people who didn't like the camera were just impatient

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Yeah no worries man. I've had mine since January, and as with all my equipment, its thus far been through hell. And its true--you need to know and understand the manual functions before really being able to take the kind of shots you want, but once you do, you can get amazing pics. You'll be fine.

-Bob