Recreation vs. conservation in the Pinelands

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
From the article: "If we took the time to gain a deeper understanding of the shared values of those advocating for recreational access and those advocating for conservation and explore integrative approaches, we can achieve equilibrium between the two polarities."

I just can't see groups of (many!) families zipping by on these 4 wheeled things in Wharton. I can't see it working. They'll go off trail, bring in flatbed trucks full of them, make little mini picnic areas during the day and leave trash, etc, etc. Am I alone in this thinking?

Taotao ATA 125D ATV 110cc , Air Cooled, 4-Stroke, 1-Cylinder, Automatic ATV Youth Kid size ATV with REVERSE - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
And therein lies the confusion and rift that exists about the policies and discussions. In the big picture OHV does not necessarily mean a quad. Bob, your truck and my Honda are OHV. They travel off the highway. But this man, interprets the MAP policy to disallow for quad use. Their presence is already illegal on NJ public lands, so mute point. The MAP was never about limiting quad use it was focused on limiting use for people period. Keep all people out of areas that were chosen by a few with no input from the thousands of persons who recreate responsibly to discuss a compromised plan for effective protection. In this article I see my vehicle or your truck as compared to a family sedan or low rider defined as OHV. There is so much confusion in discussion everywhere about the interpretation of "Off Road", "Off Road Vehicle", etc. ATV use is illegal on state land no matter what state you register it and no matter where you buy it. ATVs are not permitted in Parks, Forests, WMAs.

Will not become involved in lengthy discussion because it's not necessary to reopen the MAP debacle. I think I saw this guy at a Pinelands Commission meeting a couple years ago presenting about his proposed research.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I agree, it is confusing. I don't ever recall seeing that OHV acronym before. If he is promoting relaxing the standards to allow vehicles that cannot legally be driven on public roads in our state forests, than I am against that. That's all I'm saying, Map or no Map. But, I'm not against slicing off a chunk of environmentally suitable state forest for them to do that, that's fine. But then rename it, don't call it state forest anymore.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think I saw this guy at a Pinelands Commission meeting a couple years ago presenting about his proposed research.

I finially realized I recognize the name because my daughters played softball with a girl with the same last name. It looks like she is "friends" with him on Facebook so they must be related.