Responsibility for deer carcasses depends on where they are killed

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I could never understand why the hunters never took the entire deer with them. If they have the nerve to shoot them, why not take the entire carcass with them, instead of gutting them and leaving them on the roadside? I guess these are the same people that have no issue leaving their beer and soda cans draped on the tree limbs or tossed amongst the vegetation. In retrospect, leaving the carcass may be good, since it acts as food for other wildlife, but would it be that much trouble to leave it "in the woods" as opposed to along the road or trail?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
They're talking about roadkilled deer here, not those left by hunters. Ever since the state decided that it could no longer shoulder the cost of removing carcasses as a result of the need for budget cuts, counties and municipalities have been fighting over who should pay. Personally I've just seen an awful lot of deer rotting on the side of the road because nobody is picking them up. You might have been thrown off by the statement that they usually find them with their antlers removed. That's pretty common with roadkill-if you see one lying there with a set (and you have a hacksaw with you) you can grab them for a nice set of rattlers to use during hunting season.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Ironically, as I write this, I am eating a roasted roadkilled venison sandwich for lunch.
I just gave some to a non-hunter that I work with and he loved it.
I told him to watch out for the Peterbilt emblem!
A friend gave me the deer last week. It was smoked by a trash truck in front of his house last Wednesday.
Roadkills that are in good shape don't last long around here.
This one had mainly head injuries and I threw nothing away.
As for dumping carcasses that are not roadkills along trails and roads, I try to dump mine out of view of the general public.
Many of the clubs and individuals are lazy and dump them as soon as they are off the tar.
To the non-hunter, this triggers a lot unnecessary negative sentiment towards hunters.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
To the non-hunter, this triggers a lot unnecessary negative sentiment towards hunters.
Scott

Thats for sure. When I see one hidden far enough away from where the average person will go, if feel differently than finding them along the road even if deep in the woods. That is pure lazyness on their part to not try to hide them.

Guy