Resuming Rockwood

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I am resuming my Rockwood searching after many years and today we headed into the Great Swamp to look for corners. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the swamp is dry. Sorry for the flushed out photo's but this camera really has some issues.

This savannah should be flooded.

IMG_1671.JPG

Our first find was a monument.

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

Traveling the savannah's are not easy but easier without water in them. I see some leather leaf starting to take hold.

IMG_1679.JPG

The next monument found.

IMG_1681.JPG

IMG_1682.JPG

Unfortunately, being directly in the center of a savannah it is usually in water. This one has some issues.

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

We also visited quite a few nice islands and traveled quite a few of the old bogs there. Much more to find but I am getting a clearer picture of the Rockwood property lines.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I went on my own this morning to look for more Rockwood property corners. I knew this would be a challenge and that is why I went alone. Years ago I went in across the beaver dam at the Rockwood bog so I decided t do the same today.

Crossing the beaver dam.

IMG_1698.jpg

Unfortunately, the beavers have made such a mess of this area I was totally unable to travel though the destruction they have made of the edge area of that river. One wrong step and I would have disappeared.

The mess ahead of me.

IMG_1699.jpg

Since I was alone I decided to give up on this route. This map shows how far I traveled past the beaver dam. I was only 100 feet from my intended location.

beaver.jpg

I then drove around to the very top corner of Millers bog and parked on state land. I then worked my way through the woods trying to find a way through. I had to cross the outlet canal that Millers Bog drains into and travel back through the savanahs towards Rockwood. In the end I was never able to make it to my intended location. I had been there years ago and it was a savanah but the beavers have destroyed it and washed the area out.

Along the way.

b.jpg

My favorite place of the day.

IMG_1702a.jpg

You can see where I parked both times, see my route, and the area in purple or pink has been compromised by the beavers to the point it is extremely tough to travel in. And not safe being alone. You can see in this area where I was trying to get to from both ways. This photo is large.

Rockwood1.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I headed out this morning to search for more Rockwood property monuments. Along the way I found this which appears to have not been used in a while.

IMG_1703.JPG

I guess they did not want it to fall over.

IMG_1706.JPG

I also entered a nice savannah where you can see that the leather leaf has taken over all but the very center around the tree.

IMG_1707.JPG

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.700244772927476&lng=-74.7362958232689&z=18&type=hybrid&gpx=

Then to the location of the property monument. I circled and circled until I had flattened the brier enough to look around. Still nothing. So I circled some more and eventually stepped on it.

I don't believe Rockwood ever owned the property at this corner though. The state may have acquired it from someone else.

IMG_1708.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

Even after all of this rain the streams out there are semi dry.

IMG_1713.JPG

Ran into another interesting blind. This one had the back door locked. One of my hobbies as a kid was learning how to pick locks. If you have a Master lock like the one below you may want to buy something different.

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

I guess they use the cone to tell other hunters they are in it. There was a nice spider on it.

IMG_1722.JPG

I looked for two other corners but need to go back with some sort of brier cutter to get better access to walk around and hopefully step on it. On the way back to my car I found this snapper in an unusual position.

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

I thought that stick may have been stuck into the turtle but I found out I was wrong when I tried to knock it out. It severely attacked my walking stick. Nothing wrong with that turtle for sure.

IMG_1733.JPG

Guy

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have found more then a few stones and monuments by stepping on them:),Tripping over them,smacking my knee on them:)
I also learned to pick locks in my 20's.Made my own picks and tension wrenches after buying a set and thinking I can make this! I mainly just picked gate locks on state property so Me and Whip could set up the telescope in game fields unmolested by spotters.I figured it was our property anyway and you had to have the car battery to drive the scopes rotation.Yeah common master locks are easy.Never could get them dang government locks though and warded locks totally baffled me.Poppin pins was much easier.