returning to childhood memories

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
This post is somewhat inspired by Sue's thread, where she's announced her book that will hopefully be published, concerning Friendship, and her efforts to keep its history alive by sharing her childhood memories there.

That said, I often wander back through the neighborhood I grew up in when I was a child. It never fails to be a powerful experience for me. Tell me how to get back ...

Every summer for vacation, our family used to travel to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I loved it there. So many powerful memories and mental images remain with me to this day.

A couple of years ago, I went back. There was always a fear to return, because I was afraid that what I "saw" as a child would all be warped into something different. There's this one particular mountain (Imp Mountain) viewable from the campground where we always stayed; as a child, looking up at the impface filled me awe. Imp Mountain only offered its fantastic view from one particular field at Dolly Copp, and I made up my mind this was the place I would visit first when I returned. I all but closed my eyes during the onset of the trip, making my way to the campground, and then I opened my viewing resources when I looked up from the Dolly Copp field with the view. Thirty-some years later, I was looking at the mountain unchanged (and I a much older man), and this set in motion one of the nicest retrospective vacations of my life.

To be a kid again ...

dollycopp.jpg

I wonder what Sue thinks when she passes through Friendship today. I'm sure it's in the book! :)

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
You better believe what I feel and see when I go back is in the book! And you will be quite surprised at what you read.

This post is somewhat inspired by Sue's thread, where she's announced her book that will hopefully be published, concerning Friendship, and her efforts to keep its history alive by sharing her childhood memories there.

That said, I often wander back through the neighborhood I grew up in when I was a child. It never fails to be a powerful experience for me. Tell me how to get back ...

Every summer for vacation, our family used to travel to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. I loved it there. So many powerful memories and mental images remain with me to this day.

A couple of years ago, I went back. There was always a fear to return, because I was afraid that what I "saw" as a child would all be warped into something different. There's this one particular mountain (Imp Mountain) viewable from the campground where we always stayed; as a child, looking up at the impface filled me awe. Imp Mountain only offered its fantastic view from one particular field at Dolly Copp, and I made up my mind this was the place I would visit first when I returned. I all but closed my eyes during the onset of the trip, making my way to the campground, and then I opened my viewing resources when I looked up from the Dolly Copp field with the view. Thirty-some years later, I was looking at the mountain unchanged (and I a much older man), and this set in motion one of the nicest retrospective vacations of my life.

To be a kid again ...

dollycopp.jpg

I wonder what Sue thinks when she passes through Friendship today. I'm sure it's in the book! :)

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
There is no feeling that compares to the one you get when you go back in time to your childhood. When I discoved what computers can do, I obtained many books I have not seen let alone opened since I was in grade school. What a feeling to even hold the book in my hand! I relished the moment just staring at it before diving for the dessert of opening it up and feasting my eyes. Iv'e obtained toys, magazines and other items of forgotten years, just to obtain that feeling. That feeling is drug-like. When I first saw the photos I had tried for years to obtain of Friendship, tears filled my eyes. There is so much of life we are only just beginning to understand and to live...