Route 72 Flood

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Regarding the flooding on Rt 72, 9 miles east of the 70/72 circle, I know someone who works for the Highway dept and now according to the Highway Engineers the cause of this mess is speculated to be by beavers and/or mud turtles. Now beavers I can understand, but what part could mud turtles play in this problem?

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
The water levels are up from what they were. It will go back down, Its funny to see how many impatient people their are when people slow down for it. Really whats it add on to yourdaily commute? 45 seconds lol. But yeah I could understand some beavers, mud turtles......no. maybe one of the reptile guys can throw in their opiniuon. Bottom line is it's a low area and people have become acustommed to the water levels being low in the pines.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Flood fixed

After several weeks of flooding the state engineers decided that one solution to the problem would be to install a pipe under the road to carry the water away. So after clearing away some snow they then discovered that a pipe is already installed and that it was clogged. The clog was cleared and the water drained away. Neither the hwy dept. or the state engineers were aware of the existing pipe! Your tax dollars at work.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
A mud turtle is a small 3-4 inch semi aquatic turtle that is common throughout southern nj. It is not in the same family as box turtles and it is smaller and more aquatic then a box turtle. It is found in streams and ponds throughout the pine barrens and seldomly seen by the average pine barrens enthusiasts. It is normally encountered walking about as it often takes to the land to hide during the summer heat. Its name mud is not a good description of the turtle as it doesn't really enjoy super muddy ponds but more sand based like cran bogs, cedar streams and leaf/needle based vernal pools......it will however burrow quickly into the 'mud' when approached.