Ruby-throated hummingbird feeding from hand

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I enjoyed it! That is a great video! Thanks.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Cool video. The best place to see them is on the porch at Wells Mill CP. Fred has names for all of them :D

They are on their way north.

map-rubythroat-us.gif

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
They are just lucky Fred doesn’t have recipes for them. He just left for Mexico for a week of birding down there. That means no accident forms for me to sign for a week!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are just lucky Fred doesn’t have recipes for them. He just left for Mexico for a week of birding down there. That means no accident forms for me to sign for a week!

He sounds dangerous :)

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Just make sure he doesn't use dynamite on the beaver dam :science:

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
If it's the Fred I'm thinking of, I've had a few interesting helicopter rides with him!

When we birded in Arizona we carried our own hummingbird feeder with us to set up at our campsites. I had Blue-throateds and Black-chinneds trying to feed on it before I even had it secured to a tree. We also saw an attempt to "feed" on the red light on a photographers flash unit! The funniest attempt was the one that thought my friend's very red sunburned ear was an exotic flower and hovered right next to it.

Fred’s helicopter escapades are infamous. He is very knowledgeable and has nothing but the best intentions, but is the biggest, oldest kid you will ever meet.

And speaking of both hummingbirds and Fred, he brought a great idea for a free feeder back from one of his South American birding trips. Get a small plastic soda bottle with a red cap (normally the cola ones). Wash it and remove the label. Drill a small hole in the center of the cap, fill it with sugar water of the right proportions and suspend it by attaching a string with loops at both ends to both the neck and base, at a slight downward angle. I forget the exact hole size that will not leak, but the bottles can easily be pulled from the garbage, so a little experimenting will not hurt or cost anything. I can vouch for how well they work.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
He is very knowledgeable and has nothing but the best intentions, but is the biggest, oldest kid you will ever meet.

I'll second that, one of the nicest guys you'll ever have the good fortune of meeting.

Just don't ever get in a car when he's the driver :D