Ruffed Grouse drumming

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Grouse are just about non-existent these days, but some are still around. Now is the time they begin their courtship drumming and a good time to get a feel how many there are. if you are out in the woods and hear their drumming and are so inclined, post it in this thread. If your unfamiliar with the drumming sound, you can go to the link below and hit the button under the drumming label.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruffed_Grouse/sounds

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
What a great bird! It has been a while,but the last time I heard this great Bird was in the Goshen pond area.It was down in the lower swamps While hunting woodcock i would run across a few of these birds.I also use to find then across from Atison ranger station.But that was back several years ago when they would stock pheasant there. I remember sitting and watch one make his noise on a log along the early parts of the Mullica river.What a peace full time

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What a great bird! It has been a while,but the last time I heard this great Bird was in the Goshen pond area.It was down in the lower swamps While hunting woodcock i would run across a few of these birds.I also use to find then across from Atison ranger station.But that was back several years ago when they would stock pheasant there. I remember sitting and watch one make his noise on a log along the early parts of the Mullica river.What a peace full time

I used to have a place way up north in NY. Grouse were everywhere, you could take a walk in the evening and see maybe a dozen. They call them partridge up there and very few hunt them as the woods are so thick, they just walk the logging roads. I used to hear them up along the Delaware in Stokes, but no so much the past few years. They do go in cycles, but this has been one long down cycle.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yes indeed.... they were all over my land in upstate NY. First time I heard one it scared the hell out of me. :)

I don't think I've ever seen or heard one in the pines however.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yes indeed.... they were all over my land in upstate NY. First time I heard one it scared the hell out of me. :)

I don't think I've ever seen or heard one in the pines however.

They have been know to cause heart attack-ack-ack's. You haven't lived until you experience one coming out of the snow at your feet :rofl: They will burrow under the snow on cold nights for warmth.

My folks home was on Pine Lake in Pine Lake Park :rolleyes: back in the late 70's. We had pretty good hunting for them, and quail, on the land behind the house, and great duck/goose hunting on the lake.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
They used to scare the crap out of me all the time when bushwacking.They wait till you almost step on them to flush.where are they all at.haven't spooked one in years.must of went with the quail.
Al