Ruins near Lake Oswego....

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Went out all day today and visited Pakim Pond, then Pomeroy Crossroads, Mt. Misery, Union Clay Works, Red Oak Grove, then ended up crossing 72 and headed towards Lake Oswego. I'm sure some of you know about the ruins on the side of the right side of the road if your heading east from Lake Oswego. This topic came up before on here, anyways what was that? There are about 5-6 foundations. I can't find out what this place was. Can anybody help me out? I just wish I bought my camera, I could of got some great shots of a 8 point deer. Thanks Guys

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
wolfspider05 said:
Went out all day today and visited Pakim Pond, then Pomeroy Crossroads, Mt. Misery, Union Clay Works Graves, Red Oak Grove, then ended up crossing 72 and headed towards Lake Oswego. I'm sure some of you know about the ruins on the side of the right side of the road if your heading east from Lake Oswego. This topic came up before on here, anyways what was that? There are about 5-6 foundations. I can't find out what this place was. Can anybody help me out? I just wish I bought my camera, I could of got some great shots of a 8 point deer. Thanks Guys

Can you point them out on topozone.com? I am not sure where you mean.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4398326&e=544161&s=100&size=m&datum=nad83&layer=DRG100

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Never visited them, but most likely cranberry related I would assume.

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Bob, that is exactly where they are. I will be out there again this upcoming weekend, I will be sure to bring my camera this time. Guy, I also think it is something to do with cranberries. The foundations remind me of the ones at the Alloway monument near Friendship. They look from about the same time period, but I could be wrong.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
dementedmopar said:
Hey, Wolf man.... I mean spider.... I was the one who showed them too you... maybe you should get me some props... and dont mention about me stepping on the Union Clay graves... I think they will get pissed

Who are you?? I am confused

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
wolfspider05 said:
Who are you?? I am confused

He can't answer........the banner next to his name explains it all.

Guy

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
Ccc

The foundations are all that's left of a Civilian Conservation Corps camp that worked in the area during the Depression. They built the spillway at Oswego, paved the road, and I suspect built several water control structures near Sim Place as well. My grandfather remembers that there was a baseball league that included several other nearby camps, and he attended games back there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The foundations are all that's left of a Civilian Conservation Corps camp that worked in the area during the Depression. They built the spillway at Oswego, paved the road, and I suspect built several water control structures near Sim Place as well. My grandfather remembers that there was a baseball league that included several other nearby camps, and he attended games back there.

With all the evidence there it sure makes sense. It would be interesting to find a list of where they all were. I am sure many locations that we all find may have some connection to them. Thanks!

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My grandfather remembers that there was a baseball league that included several other nearby camps, and he attended games back there.

Do you know where the baseball fields were?

Guy

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
Do you know where the baseball fields were?

I'm afraid not. I was told that the camp extended to both sides of the road, and included barracks, offices, and a motor pool, but my grandfather couldn't give me precise locations. He was a young teenager at the time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm afraid not. I was told that the camp extended to both sides of the road, and included barracks, offices, and a motor pool, but my grandfather couldn't give me precise locations. He was a young teenager at the time.

It did as you say extend on both sides. Steve found the foundations of what appears to be a water tower on the side opposite the building foundations. At first we thought it was a tower.

Guy