Ruins on the side of Washinton Turnpike

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
So I was driving from Washington to Batsto on the Washington Turnpike, and to the right about a mile before you come to the Batsto fire tower there is a cellar hole about 50 foot off the road and a well. The hole has some decent size tress growing out of it and a good amount of bricks. The well has water in it, it is about 10-15 feet deep, I am not sure if it i rain water. I will post pictures later. Any ideas on what it is or was?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was the property of Samuel Jervis who owned 38.7888 acres. If you look on the road just off of the main road (Washington Turnpike) from Batsto you can find a property corner right in the road. This property was purchased by the state sometime after the mid 1950’s. That property was also at one time owned by A.E Koster. Now here is where I am uncertain on who that was. It was either Augustus Koster or Augusta Koster. Augusta was female and was in school in the 1920’s according to “Heart of the Pines”. So I am betting that the state purchased the property from her estate since Augustus was living in the 1850’s.

If you want the coordinates of the property corner Wolf, PM me for it. Better yet, go back and look around which is more fun as I am sure you know :)

You can see the property and the location of the dwelling here.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=18&X=1331&Y=10975&W=2&qs=|batsto|nj|

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The state purchased the property on 9/5/1969.

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Guy,

As always, great information! Thanks!! I am guessing that this would be the same Koster family that owned the land at Herman also? I will be out there looking for that property corner for sure, I hope that this weather gets more like spring and less like winter.