Rusty Waters

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Several years ago while viewing aerials, I noticed an orange colored area along a major river in the pines. An investigation was required. Upon arrival it appears to be an old iron ore bog with groundwater coming to the surface forming a good size orange color swamp. Several small streams flow from the bog, through a small cedar swamp, and then into the river. I made a return visit back in August. Traversing through the cedar swamps, Indian Pipes were out in force. I also noticed a very small spreading vine that caught my eye growing on top of a hummock. With no flowers, I didn't know what it was. With some help, I was able to identify it as being Mitchella repens (Partridge-berry). It was a first time find, found occasionally in low damp woodlands.

I should also add that the ground in this area is very squishy, even in the grassy area a good distance from the exposed water. One needs to be very careful; as I found out.

I find this location very interesting, so this past week I made another visit to take a little more in depth look and to expand my search.

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3571.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_4267.JPG

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4274.JPG

IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice photo spread Ron!

After seeing the photo, I still admit to not seeing this partridge berry that often. I'll keep my eye out for this one from now on. I may have just been negligent.