Ruts?

Adam Buchler

Scout
Nov 5, 2011
So I have noticed these ruts about a foot deep that look man made that parallel roads and trails near batsto. I was thinking that the were bike trails but they are not marked and then start and end all over the place. Can anyone tell me what these are?

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Sounds like you're talking about firebreaks? They do exactly what the name implies- provides a break in the fuel for a forest fire by disrupting underbrush and anything above soil level. They can be found all over the pines running near trails or roads, but can sometimes have a haphazard appearance.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Adam, I also have seen things like you describe. I've seen them with my own eyes. Rumor has it that they exist here and there in the Pine Barrens. I've heard that you can seen them in the Pacific Northwest as well. Careful when hiking in the woods, because you could twist your ankle if you walk into one unknowingly. They can be quite hairy.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
i hike a lot with map and compass. they are fun to use to get from road to road or just a shortcut. going from Batsto to Hawkins Bridge i used about 2 miles of them.

i was surprised to see gravel in them ?

2036336630104593866S500x500Q85.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Dirt bikes often incorporate them into their trail systems and then just as quickly abandon them.Enduro folks use them a lot to put their events on.They are mad by a small riding lawn mover sized machine that a forest worker rides through the woods on.You;ll find them along state property boundaries often too.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Adam, a plow, such as this, can also be used to make fire cuts. The one pictured happens to be mounted on a 'dozer used by the Forest Service stationed at Double Trouble.

plow2.jpg

Adam Buchler

Scout
Nov 5, 2011
Adam, I also have seen things like you describe. I've seen them with my own eyes. Rumor has it that they exist here and there in the Pine Barrens. I've heard that you can seen them in the Pacific Northwest as well. Careful when hiking in the woods, because you could twist your ankle if you walk into one unknowingly. They can be quite hairy.
Nice one lol

Adam Buchler

Scout
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks guys...being new to the pines I didn't realize that forest fires were an essential part of barrens ecology

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks guys...being new to the pines I didn't realize that forest fires were an essential part of barrens ecology
I do like your Avatar!
are you new to south Jersey or just new to the pines? I grew up on the southern fringe of the barrens and been running the woods down here since about 9 years old.That would be 73.First hit the barrens in 78 at the advanced age of fourteen with the acquisition of a canoe and Parnes book on canoeing the pine barrens.I thankfully had a dad who thought nothing of driving an hour and dropping me and my cousin off and coming back at days end and picking us up further downstream.Then with the acquisiton of wheels in 81 I started tentatively exploring on my own but was always afraid of getting stuck since getting stuck at home was no problem since I had an uncle to get me out but he would not have appreciated having to drive to the barrens to get me out.After awhile i learned what a vehicle could do and what it couldn't and then in 2000 got my first 4 by 4 and now can go anywhere and everywhere that isn't out and out swamp or been torn up by big trucks. Still haven't seen Bigfoot but if I do you'll be the first to know.

Adam Buchler

Scout
Nov 5, 2011
I was born and raised not too far from the barrens in Sewell,NJ but never been to the barrens until last May(except for one canoe trip when I was little). Now I spend as much time as I can out there.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Get the bumper sticker that reads "Proud to be a Piney from my nose down to my Hiney"..Used to have one I got at Lucilles but when I traded my truck in the sticker went with it.
That will make you a Piney.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Get the bumper sticker that reads "Proud to be a Piney from my nose down to my Hiney"

Just got one from Cathy at PineyPower that says, "Head Down to my Hiney"... does that still make me a piney?

John-

Adam Buchler

Scout
Nov 5, 2011
well I live in washington twp near chestnut ridge middle school. Sometimes I forget sewell actually extends outside of twp.