Salem County Stones

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Here are the photos from two separate stone trips in Salem County. Gradually working my way in an arc from southwest to northeast.

Actually a concrete here,no stone

NJ Pudding Stone

Wood Frog Stone

Little Red Tomb Stone

The "R" Monument

The not where it's supposed to be but found it anyway stone

The Nelson Thompson Stone

Off 90 ft nw stone

off 90 ft nw again stone

Off 90 ft again the third time stone

The Briar Profanity stone. Could see it but played hell getting close to it.

I broke this off in a fight.

Really nice "Break Log" next to this stone

Blue Ribbon Stone.I was not looking for this one but noticed an Nature Conservancy corner sign and figgered I"d walk on over and look and found this nice one with a Blue Ribbon around it.It won first prize!
Next pic of this one is a beauty

Now I have read many a survey map and deed that referred to "Cedar Posts" But have never actually found one and I know Guy has hunted for plenty and found very few himself.Here is my first and i wasn't even expecting it.

I went back for this stone on the return trip out since I could not find it at first.It was 90 ft off nw but the next stone was alos 90 ft off and I found it because of a large pipe next to it in very open woods and the next three stones were off the same so I knew it was a error of mine so on the way back I went to the coords for this stone and went 90 ft nw and here it was,under the leaves and still wouldn;t have found it if not for the small square tube next to it.

Here is a really strange pile of very regularly shaped stones. Looks almost intelligently designed.

Small Hand Sized Stone

Holly Hills Stone

Have another very long trip coming up from Holly Hills to Camp Edge.Really big tract of new state land with stones on it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Hit Salem County again today.Didn't find that many stones mainly because there were more houses to wiggle through and avoid trespassing then I thought I would have to deal with and the one gap I had had the biggest briar wall I have ever seen so I passed on the last two stones but found some other interesting things instead.
The first one I couldn't find but the second one was there.I named it Sunlight Stone

This one I named the Face Down Posted stone because there is a sign on the other side of that board.left is private right is state.

Next four pics are of two stones with two close ups,they both have surveyor nails in them.

Not the next stone I could not find and was shocked since the last two were so well marked.It woulda been right next to a pretty vernal pond.!00 yards past the pond I came to Feyl Lake and found this stone ring.My survey stone is probably part of this ring:) Kids! Jeesh!.This area is or was part of Camp Edge.State has bought it but parts of it are still posted and obviously kept up so i don't know if or when exactly i was trespassing and when not.Towards the end i think i may have been.

HDR from the end of Feyl Lake

Some dilapidated cabins before I came to the posted area.

One not quite so dilapidated.

One for purty one for efficiency.

Front door.Once i got around fron after having explored inside I seen a "Restricted Access" sign.Oh Well,cain't win em all.

Down by the Boardwalk. Well I didn't see the Drifters but it was about here I started seeing sporadic posted signs but the boardwalk and onward seems to be a public trail ribboned off.there is a private dwelling not far behind me but next to it was a state sign and barricade so it may be a legit parking spot coming in from the north.I walked here all the way through the woods from the old Holly Hills golf course which is now also state so i came in the back door so to speak but I believe this place is pubblic accessible now.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/manumuskin
[URL=http://s857.photobucket.com/user/manumuskin/media/Salem%20County%20Stones/IMG_9643small_zpseuwzfbpr.jpg.html]

The last few pics I actually had to step over a ribbon and walk fifty yards to get to.These lean to's appear to be well kept up with fresh paint and screens,area is almost too manicured to be being used by a bunch of kids though and ribboned off is not very attractive to campers,this must be some kind of exhibit now?
Now this last one was quite the experience.I approached this shack from the back but the pic is the front.In back the slits between boards are barely see throughable. I peered through the slits and could see a small hunched figure peering back at me.It was rocking back and forth.As I leaned up to the crack to get a better look it ran out the front and leaped fifteen feet into a tree and then hissed loudly at me.It was black and hunched.Now i know right away everyone is thinking Jersey devil.Sorry to be such a bore but it was only a Black Vulture.I think she may have been getting ready to nest in here? I know their ground nesters.I wonder if she built the shack?[/URL]

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks Dogg.I"ve been to Cumberland County Historical library but not Salem. Problem is that in Cumberland you can't look yourself but have to have someone pull each thing you want to see.You can go through the card catalog but you have no idea if what you ask for is worth looking at so they may pull it and 30 seconds later your like I can't use this so i end up feeling like a turd.they think you don't know what you want and really you do but you don't know what it's called.The stuff is there it's just finding it.Now Burlington county clerks office is great because you can pull droors and look through folders yourself without bothering anyone.Nothing is in any kind of order so it's time consuming but it's less stress..I will stop by here to check it out though.Might be structured different then cumberland.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Al. Maybe some of those buildings are in this video? Looks like a good camp to learn things. What is the country coming to when a camp for growing young people cannot keep afloat. Is it disinterest?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bob
I was in the middle of the lean to's you see at 1:27.I tried to get into the main camp area but this would have involved blatant trespass in front of occupied dwellings or travel through the greatest briar wall I have ever seen.According to the deed i downloaded online the state bought the whole camp but from what I seen on the ground this seems not to be so. Would be interesting to drive around to the main gate and see if we can go in.I came upon the back side of what looked to be a wma gate so we may be able to drive in to that point.
Looks like it is or was a great place to be a kid.Went to Camp Hollybrook myself when I was a kid and I believe thats where I got my woods love. Nothin like learning to swim in Manumuskin crik and catching frogs,turtles and snakes while taking night hikes to haunted houses in the woods.
As far as plant hiking let me know when.I found a single Pink on this trip.Didn't look for more but stepped over the stream and proceeded to camp Edge.Probably more by the look of the stream.No flower but new leaves coming up in old basal rosette.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Went out to finish up the Salem County plots I made last winter.Didn't get to them all but got to enough to realize how bad of shape I"m in after sitting around all summer from two operations and purposely avoiding chiggers. Started out at a graveyard I had been wanting to go to for awhile.It's where the soldiers that died in the british ambush at Quintons Bridge are buried.It's on private property in the middle of a field but accessible to visitors. Here are those pics.

As far as property stones I only found two of them today though the other spots I found clues letting me know I was in the right spot but the stones were buried or gone,likely gone.

about 50 ft from the last stone I found a pile of stones.the first stone had a pipe next to it with a ribbon on it so I believe it was the corner but this pile is further down the line about 50 ft???

and this one on another property over near Woodstown.

At another spot where i couldn't find the stone i found some other interesting things.This apparently was an old camp that is now state property.Might be worth it to go back and look around some more.

I then stopped at a graveyard to check out some stones that mark where my fifth gr grandad was buried and some of his kin.I found the place a few months ago on Find A Grave and finally stopped to check it out.It's way over in Perkintown.
Heres 5th Gr granpaw!

and some kin

I hope these pics turn out alright.Since I was on Photobucket last they have change everything and the resize feature appears to have changed and will not let me go as high as 800 by 1200 so I hope these aren't too small.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wow, that looks like a full day Al.

I like the headstones. It is mysterious that both Annie L. and Maria L. Springer, from the same parents, died at 26 but about a year apart. That had to be hard to endure losing both children within a year. Sad.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Scott
Doing Genealogy has made me wonder how any of us ever made it to the 21st century.So many kids died at child birth or at very young ages.My grandmother had two brothers that both died by age two,One i think she said was Yaller Jaundice and the over Pnuemonia.Had a ten year old brother that died from choking.Her mother died from having her bladder punctured during delivery when she was 35 by a drunken doctor.She lived two weeks,became septic and died,the baby died in birth. Even grown ups were often healthy one day and within days would drop dead from things not even known what they were. makes you wonder about "The Good Old Days". The plus was no one had to worry about Health care back then,the minus was there was none.