Sarracenia Flava-Trumpet Pitcher?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hey folks,

I recently read that trumpet pitchers were observed in the Pine Barrens. I only remember seeing purple pitcher plants there-has anyone come across them in the pines?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are at least two locations I know of and I have seen a photo of another group.

This one is holding it's own.

IMG_4002.JPG

This large group is flourishing.

IMG_5869.JPG

IMG_7063.JPG

Guy

Reactions: Gibby and dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a question I can't answer because I don't know the answer. Bob will have to take that one.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I know they are not native which means someone put them there. You may have read in Beck's book where individuals were planting odd plants around the pines to confuse or annoy botanist. This may be one of them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea... thats them. Mike found the other smaller plant that he says is "holding its own." I check on it every once in a while when in the area. It was quite visible but now it is semi blocked from view which is good.

Guy

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Oji,

I would absolutely LOVE to check them out in the field, but was hesitant to ask about location because I know that folks may be weary of poachers finding the info. I have a pretty healthy interest in carnivorous plants, I have ever since I was a kid. In fact, that's one of the things that led me to explore the Pine Barrens the way I did. Anyway, if anyone could share where I could observe them, even over private message, I'd absolutely love to check them out (I'm sure my son would as well), but again if people are weary about sharing location, I respect that. I also read about Sarracenia minor and rubra planted in the pines-again, is anyone seeing them?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
The plants in Whitesbog are in one of Bill Smith's small artifical bogs sunken in the ground. If you want to check them out they are on the edge of the garden behind a large pile of mulch next to Suningive. I haven't seen a schedule for Lines on the Pines yet but Bill Smith is usually there selling carnivorous plants.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Sarracenia flava crossed with S. purpurea = S.x catesbaei. Something I can relate to since I am a hybrid also.;)