Saturday morning Nov 19

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
While waiting at Hampton Furnace for the sun to get higher this morning, I saw a diagonal streak of light and a silent explosion in the dark sky. It looked just like fireworks but had to be a meteorite. I guess that is one of the benefits of getting up before sunrise. A duck hunter had already taken position in the pretty glen I intended to shoot so I walked down the branch looking for shots.
nov19_3.jpg

nov19_1.jpg

nov19_2.jpg

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I noticed quite a few areas of "slanted" trees along the branch, mostly in the tight, dark areas. Did the beaver gnaw each tree individually, or somehow undercut the roots by flooding?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I noticed quite a few areas of "slanted" trees along the branch, mostly in the tight, dark areas. Did the beaver gnaw each tree individually, or somehow undercut the roots by flooding?

Yes, Ed is correct. The flooding from dams undercuts the roots, and in a hard rain, it exacerbates the problem. The first photo is clearly slack water created by dams.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
In the new land purchased by NJCF in Mount Misery, the beavers have also created a lot of flooding, undermining long-standing trees. Many of you may know the pristine stream that comes from a beautiful area upstream of the lake by the conference center. The first 100 yards of that stream are destroyed unless the beaver are removed. The dam is on the Methodist property. The first photo is the stream. The photos after that are what a portion of the stream downstream of that shot looks like now.

greenstream.JPG
spring hole area.JPG
2.JPG

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
At first, I thought they looked like a primitive druid altar built by the Wharton Forest Bog Witch, but now I just see beaver damage.