Saving a 300-year-old tree

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't consider myself a treehugger extremist but I believe if your going to kill something you should use it.That tree is beyond being prime lumber but would still be excellent firewood or could be used say furniture making.Why are they killing it?Because it's in the way? I get so pissed off when I see dumb asses plant trees under electric lines between sidewalks and the road and then twenty years later they are whining about buckled sidewalks and tore down power lines.Now I realize this tree was around before power lines and sidewalks but there is a solution.In Mobile,Alabama where they actually appreciate their beautiful roads enshrouded with even more beautiful Live Oaks they screw metal rods with loops on the end into the limbs and run the lines through the loops and leave plenty of slack.Then as the wind moves the limbs the lines move with them instead of getting ripped off the poles.There is an even better solution but it costs money and actually makes work.Bury the lines.Then you never have to worry about them again or until your next earthquake..That tree has been around since Europeans started showing up this last time,give it some respect.An Indian may have peed on it.Doesn't that make it an archaeological site?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This reminds me of "The Sorrows of Young Werther", a romantic 18th century novel by Goethe about a love-sick young man who sinks into depression and eventually commits suicide. One of the final straws is the discovery that the new pastor's wife has convinced the town to cut down the old walnut trees outside the church.

"You see, I cannot get over the shock. Just imagine, the falling leaves made her yard damp and dirty; the trees deprived her of sunlight; when the nuts were ripe, the boys pelted them with stones, and this made her nervous, this disturbed her profound meditations...
______

When I saw how glum the villagers were, especially the old ones, I asked, "Why did you let it happen?" -- "When the magistrate wants it," they answered, "what can you do?"

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Unfortunately, if the utility wants it down, they normally get their way. We did a job at Rowan University a few years back and tried to get the cables routed underground. With no public meetings, the utility came in and cleared a 150ft wide right of way, which amounted to a number of old trees. The power poles on the campus, which are an eyesore, are now clearly visible from the nearby neighborhood. My bosses wife was mad at HIM, she thought we cut them down.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
As a NJ Licensed Tree Expert (#285) I’ve saved a lot of trees. However, not all old trees are worthy of conservation. Many have structural weaknesses or health issues that warrant their removal. Too often tree dignity is gone and it is best to call Dr. Kevorkian.

This is not the case with the Aura oak. I responded to a call from the article’s author, Jack Hummel, to have a look. His paper reported on a plea I made several years back to Freeholders that saved Fairton’s street trees from removal during Main Street widening.

Here are brief notes:
  • The tree in question is a mature (+200-year-old) 48" Diameter Breast Height white oak (Quercus alba).
  • This oak is in decent health and appears structurally sound.
  • It is a good candidate for conservation because of its apparent vigor and its historical context.
  • The tree was pruned to accommodate wires +50 years ago (see photo below) so there already exists an easy passage for newline to run.
The Methodist Meeting House dates back to 1806, although it had been moved from across the street when the West Jersey Rail Road was built. I suspect the Aura oak grew up in a clearing (post settlement). It branches out low on the trunk. A forest tree self prunes, leaving a tall trunk without lower branches. It may have been a trail marker tree. In South Jersey it was customary to use white oaks for stop signs. The light-colored bark warned night travelers of an intersection. During the day the broad tree canopy provided shade for a rest stop.

Our tree heritage is worth preservation. This tree has at least 200 years of useful life left. White oaks are true aristocrats. I am told that the real reason for tree extrication may have little to do with wires, but is related to street widening in preparation for large-scale development. Atlantic City Electric and I are in discussion on this matter.

S-M

Aura Oak.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, remember that beech I showed you in Whiting, the one you fell from the limb? The local preacher destroyed that tree to make a parking lot.

A PARKING LOT!!!!

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Guy, remember that beech I showed you in Whiting, the one you fell from the limb? The local preacher destroyed that tree to make a parking lot.

A PARKING LOT!!!!
The state champion Quercus marilandica is going to be cut down for the widening of Rt.530 this year.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I ran a tree service for a few years and the part of it I miss the least is cutting down beautiful trees for poor reasons. I did take satisfaction in occasionally convincing a customer that their problem might be better addressed by another measure, such as pruning, even if I made less money on the job. I agree that underground lines are a far better solution to the utility line vs. tree problem, even if a more expensive one in the short term. But many have a less than sympathetic view of trees now, in the aftermath of the power outages caused by Sandy. The power company might just be trying to strike while the iron is hot. Disaster-related swaying of public sentiment can be an unfortunately useful thing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

A PARKING LOT!!!!

I fell out of that tree and landed on my back.

Bob in tree

beech.JPG

Note Bob left :)

Everyone who had a hand in cutting down this big tree deserves an
ass-kicking straight from God.

You too Reverend. If this tree was not a gift of God’s grace then what is? Curses on all of you. I hope you get bonked in the head by a huge branch.

This was 6/4/2005

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
It is likely that the Aura oak is one of the 1932 memorial trees listed in Penn's Woods 1682-1932: The Story of Our Penn Trees. That would be quite a distinction! At 12-feet, 6-inches circumference its overall size is about right. It has a weather-beaten patina often associated with true ancient trees. I've been fielding calls all day about it. The church has since reversed its anti-tree stance.

Here's a link to a recent update:

300-year-old South Jersey tree gets support from church board member
The latest Gloucester Gloucester County Sewer Service Map indicates the tree will be in a Priority Growth Zone, where significant development and redevelopment are encouraged. I'm afraid that such areas will become free for all zones where anything goes in the name of progress, not unlike what happened in Richland Village.​
Click image to expand the Aura-area SSA map.​
Aura oak SSA.jpeg

Reactions: Teegate

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
http://binged.it/YpO8oP
Very big white oak in Millville next to 7th street laundromat.Played under it as a kid while Mom washed the clothes.They cut it down a couple years ago.The sections of wood and stump were still there last year.A good five feet thick.No idea how old it was.There was nothing wrong with it other then some big dead limbs in the top.80% of tree healthy.may have been biggest tree in Millville as far as i know.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
That is a shame! I hope all can come to a solution other than cutting it down.

Bob, you don't see many large beech trees down this way. It a shame that tree was replaced by asphalt.

Here is a large beech for you Bob. This tree is in Rumson on a customers property. A lot of nice large trees in Rumson.
120830_0013_zps8d88a746.jpg

Chris

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I am applauding you as we speak, Spung!

As a NJ Licensed Tree Expert (#285) I’ve saved a lot of trees. However, not all old trees are worthy of conservation. Many have structural weaknesses or health issues that warrant their removal. Too often tree dignity is gone and it is best to call Dr. Kevorkian.

This is not the case with the Aura oak. I responded to a call from the article’s author, Jack Hummel, to have a look. His paper reported on a plea I made several years back to Freeholders that saved Fairton’s street trees from removal during Main Street widening.

Here are brief notes:
  • The tree in question is a mature (+200-year-old) 48" Diameter Breast Height white oak (Quercus alba).
  • This oak is in decent health and appears structurally sound.
  • It is a good candidate for conservation because of its apparent vigor and its historical context.
  • The tree was pruned to accommodate wires +50 years ago (see photo below) so there already exists an easy passage for newline to run.
The Methodist Meeting House dates back to 1806, although it had been moved from across the street when the West Jersey Rail Road was built. I suspect the Aura oak grew up in a clearing (post settlement). It branches out low on the trunk. A forest tree self prunes, leaving a tall trunk without lower branches. It may have been a trail marker tree. In South Jersey it was customary to use white oaks for stop signs. The light-colored bark warned night travelers of an intersection. During the day the broad tree canopy provided shade for a rest stop.

Our tree heritage is worth preservation. This tree has at least 200 years of useful life left. White oaks are true aristocrats. I am told that the real reason for tree extrication may have little to do with wires, but is related to street widening in preparation for large-scale development. Atlantic City Electric and I are in discussion on this matter.

S-M