Saw my first coyote today

Gibbs

Jan 22, 2016
NJ.
Was driving out to Franklin Parker Preserve this morning and I saw a coyote running across one of the farms on 532. It was the first coyote I’ve ever seen in person and I was struck by how large it was. It looked like a wolf. Driving home I saw another one dead on the side of the road.

As anyone ever run into one while hiking?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
As anyone ever run into one while hiking?

I have, twice. The thing that struck me about them is how slinky they are. They move through the woods like ghosts. I was once about 30 feet from one on Lacey Road. I got a sense that this animal is made for roaming.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Frequently, had them follow me and my dogs not 50 feet away, looking for a meal. One of my dogs is 130 pounds, she could have bit it in half and the Yote knew it, I would have kicked into the next world and hung it's skull on my wall. They are just trying to survive, but are predators and mostly just run off but this one was a threat. Funny how my dogs reacted by being silent, unusual behavior, didn't bark but stared each other down. You are right Bob, they are ghosts, but not to other K9's. Primal feeling being back in Friendship Bogs by Bear's bridge on a freezing morning in January, must stand your ground.
I went back many times to hunt it with camera and bait, but I think it was just passing through. For them it is all day looking for food and if sex presents itself, well why not. There was one hanging around High Crossing for weeks. They often hang out on Mine Spring Road and another that has no name. I bet the FFS has a name for it but does not share, makes it difficult to report problems.

Last edited:

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
I have twice also. First one, I had that uncomfortable I'm being watched feeling. Turned around and one large scraggly one was about 150 feet behind me. We had a look at each other and it just bolted and melted into the brush. That ended my day... Another near the Bartlett's Branch, simply sat looking at me for about 1-2 minutes while I stood still. It got up and just slipped away. They add new meaning to the word slippery, with the way they melt into the woods.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have only viewed one lumbering across 72 between Coyle Field and the fish place near 539.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe there currently is one in the road on 532 near the Bordentown Gun Club. RIP.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
A few months ago. I rolled up on two pups playing on 206 in Shamong. I stopped and watched them until they noticed me. They weren’t any more then 20 feet away.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Reactions: h2ochild

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Eastern Coyote is larger than its Western Coyote counterpart because they have, in fact, interbred with wolves.

Genetically they are classified as a hybrid; runs on wolf, dog or coyote food ;)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899836/

Summarized; "In 2014, a DNA study of northeastern coyotes showed them on average to be a hybrid of western coyote (62%), western wolf (14%), eastern wolf (13%), and domestic dog (11%) in their nuclear genome."