Scarlet or Eastern? Or both?

Mike_Future

May 8, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Anyone have an idea of which Milk Snake subspecies is present in the Pines? I've heard the Scarlet King (Lampropeltis triangulum elapsoides), and the Eastern Milk (Lampropeltis t. triangulum) can be found. I've also heard that the intergrade Eastern X Scarlet (Coastal Plains) can be found. Anyone have a photo of local animals?

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Hey Mike,
Look for earlier detailed threads on the coastal plains milk snake on this site. The short answer is that there are no scarlet kings in the pines. This is the area where the coastal plains milk snake starts to be found. Lampropeltis triangulum "temporalis". Integrade between the eastern milk and scarlet king, it's own sub species... don't want to get into that 50 year old debate again. They do look like their own sub species with maroon to red saddles and patterned bellies, however, they are not commonly found. Those from New Jersey are not as brilliantly marked as those from say St. Mary's co. MD. But they are still more attractive than a common eastern milk.
k

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
"more attractive than a common eastern milk."

Wow I hope one of our many herpers gets a pic of one as the Eastern Milks I have caught in the Mercer County area have always been the brightest and prietiest snakes I have seen in NJ, with the lone possible exception of a young freshly shed King I found at Butterfly bogs.

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
There is the fringe anomally, and of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. On that same line, a milk snake was found north of philadelphia by a friend of mine that exhibited coastal traits-influence or freak? Doesn't matter. Line 'em up though and the average coastal is a little bit more showy than the average eastern... in my opinion. Babies of both are brightly colored little gems.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
Krloucks said:
Unfortunaley, they are hard to come by. My last cp milk discovery was a yearling I found under a piece of carpet 2 years ago. Fresh out of hibernation, it wasn't very attractive either.

Kyle, I've seen some coastals that match a maryland animals in looks or very close to it. It seems like they vary in color and appearance in NJ more so than animals from other states. I've seen about 12-15 coastals in the last two years (non yet this year). There is a trick to finding them that I feel pretty good at. :)

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Steve, we'll have to hook up. One reason I don't find many is cause last year I think I only went down once in September. Funny thing about the milks for me is that I have usually found more than one in the same spot. Do you experience that as well.
I agree with the variablility, but I have found nothing like Maryland.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
Krloucks said:
Steve, we'll have to hook up. One reason I don't find many is cause last year I think I only went down once in September. Funny thing about the milks for me is that I have usually found more than one in the same spot. Do you experience that as well.
I agree with the variablility, but I have found nothing like Maryland.

:ninja: I have never found them in the same spot while under cover (as in the same board, tin etc.). The same general area is a definate though. Some of the milks in the most southern parts of the state or more orange.