Scary Abandoned House between Tuckerton and New Gretna

KamKam

Feb 24, 2004
Does anyone know anything about this super scary super old abandoned house? It's on route 9, about half-way between Tuckerton's Mathistown Road and New Gretna. It's on the right side of the road, if you're coming from Tuckerton. It's kinda deep set in the woods and if you blink you'll miss it.

This house is scary beyond belief, and inside it's completely ransacked and just SPOOKY. Does anyone know anything about it?????

Ever been in it????

Share please :)

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I know the one you're talking about. It is the former dwelling of Hattie Chew. It's too bad noone takes care of it. It's obvious that she died and did not have an interested family member, who wanted to gather the belongings together. I've been inside of it and am lucky I didn't get arrested. I'd beware since it could collapse at any time. You could tell people DID ransack the palce looking for things of value. I have a pic of it somewhere I may be able to post.

KamKam

Feb 24, 2004
Wow. Very interesting. So she lived there alone?

I have a picture that I took of the house a little while ago when it snowed, it looks crazy!!

I'll see if I can post a link..

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
its very close to me also....im going to look for it right now.....i love old abandon houses...

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
well i just went and saw it..ive driven by it hundreds of times and never noticed it...it was just startin to get dark...really spooky lookin...i didnt have a flshlight so i didnt go in...or i was too chicken..even had my rottie with me and he wasnt too eager either..ill be back in the am, for sure.....i think...lol..does anyone know when it was abandon?

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
oh and there were fresh tire tracks in the dirt driveway...someone else must have been there today...

B

bach2yoga

njvike said:
Everything in the Pine Barrens is scary at night ;-)

Isn't that the truth?!
A friend of mine had intended to go to a Nature Conservancy program recently with us--the one on orangatans. It was in the p.m., on the last full moon--big beautiful orange moon in the sky that night. The Nature Conservancy office is in Whitesbog-Elizabeth White's house, Suningive.

Anyway, for various reasons, she was late, and lost. She finally found the road into White's Bog about 8 pm. As she drove in, her two teenage daughters started to freak out. All they could think of was Jason...too many horror movies. Then they saw the general store and started shrieking that it was Jason's house. Finally, in terror, they turned around and drove out, no one saying a word until they work back on the paved road!!!

Renee

B

BarryC

Actually, to tell you the truth, I haven't found any scary place yet. But one Saturday morning, at about 5:15, my car broke down in Galloway Township on 561 at the intersection with 575. I pushed the car through the intersection and onto the shoulder. Then I walked about 3 miles or so to the Police Station way out on Jimmie Leeds Road. But anyway, on that short length of 561 between that intersection and the intersection with Jimmie Leeds Road the road runs through solid Pine Barrens with no buildings and no street lights. While walking through there I heard some sort of owl, and I admit it was a bit spooky, as it was not yet daylight out.
But then again it's not that often that I get to hear an owl, since I'm not outdoors much at night. So it was cool.
Barry
njvike said:
Everything in the Pine Barrens is scary at night ;-)

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
last night i drove down bulltown road. i thought i passed by an old abandoned house? are there any abandoned houses on this road or was what i saw just an old looking house?

B

BarryC

There is at least one abandoned house on Bulltown Road. It's a side-gabled house with fancy porch roof brackets. It also has some smaller buildings in the back. The house is known as the Voss House and is on state land. This is part of what's left of the ghost town of Bulltown, named after a man whose last name was Bull.
stizkidz said:
last night i drove down bulltown road. i thought i passed by an old abandoned house? are there any abandoned houses on this road or was what i saw just an old looking house?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
stizkidz said:

Do not go on the property because Steve (Behr655) did and a ranger pulled up and gave him a steep ticket.

Guy

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
I took my husband past the house the other day and there happens to be a ghost story about the house. Alot of locals have seen a woman in a white dress trying to cross the road there but when they look back or in their mirrors no one is there.