Scene, Yesterday

Marcia

Jul 30, 2012
I recently acquired a "book" printed by the Lakehurst Historical Society of memories of Frank Wainwright (b1890-d1980) as published in the Advance Nickel News starting in 1971. The column of his memories appeared from 1971 to1977. There are stories about the area and it people dating back to the Revolutionary War. Lots of names from the past.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this publication. And if there is a person or place that you would like me to look for as I read through the stories. I would scan the page and send it on if it would be valuable to our members.
Let me know
Marcia Taylor Stoetzel

Marcia

Jul 30, 2012
I'd like to know if there are any stories of Dr. Kneiskern.

No., Dr.Kneiskern, that I was able to find. Medical Drs. Camarda, Pitts and Brown. Is this still available? If not I will send it to you. Lots of old family names and stories about old places, "The Rope Mill?". My family was from Burlington for the most part and they were not mentioned.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Marcia, how about that one large house cattycorner to the school on Union Avenue. The owers recently put up an 8 foot clock or some such on a lawn that had a doctor's name on it. It might have been Pitts as you say above...ie, the Dr. Pitts House.

I would not mind hearing a synopsis or two. Why not post a couple short ones?

Marcia

Jul 30, 2012
Good one Guy! Yes, and Dr. Knieskern did a lot of botanizing in that area. I have a list of his finds somewhere around here.

There was a botanist mentioned in the book . Below is quote from publication
"Famous Botanist lived in Manchester," written by Elizabeth Morgan of Forked River. WThe part that is of the most interst to us, is the story of a John Torrey, who lived in Manchester (the original name of Lakehurst at that time) and he was a famous Botanist and Doctor.
Seemingly he located and identified a lot of little known plants especially near the stream named Paint Hollow.

Written by Frank Wainwright in "Scene, Yesterday" May 12, 1976 Advance Nickel News

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There was a botanist mentioned in the book . Below is quote from publication
"Famous Botanist lived in Manchester," written by Elizabeth Morgan of Forked River. WThe part that is of the most interst to us, is the story of a John Torrey, who lived in Manchester (the original name of Lakehurst at that time) and he was a famous Botanist and Doctor. Seemingly he located and identified a lot of little known plants especially near the stream named Paint Hollow.

Written by Frank Wainwright in "Scene, Yesterday" May 12, 1976 Advance Nickel News

I think Frank was mistaken. A William Torrey helped (or did) develop Lakehurst and had a son named John. That is not the same John as the famous botanist John Torrey of New York. I think Frank put 2 and 2 together and came up with 3.

http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/ms...ir/parsonstech/genealogy/trees/jgordon/d5.htm