Scenic Status for Pinelands trail

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I've driven the Blue Ridge. Acadia, Schoodic, Brandywine Valley and Beartooth Scenic Byways. Scenic status equals crowds, BIG crowds. Sometimes you can love something to death. :rolleyes:

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Nice article. We could use the funding but not he large crowds and their trash. Overall, I feel that it is good thing that this is happening. Thanks for sharing the article.

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
I just read this article, and I have mixed emotions on the subject, I'm worried about the possibility of people looting from historic sites and a huge increase in fire hazards. About the meeting in EHC, where will this be held? the Police Station?

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I for one think its a stupid idea. If people want to explore they should visit the historical sites and parks on their own, not cruise down a new highway through our woods doing 60. Who's going to pick up the trash? I can also see traffic exploring the dirt roads and causing problems in the woods for those of us who enjoy their quietness. There's already enough roads to explore. What do I know?

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I agree with much of the sentiment already expressed in this thread. Visibility means people, which in turn bring traffic, and their trash. I find it ironic how the article mentions how this new highway designation will bring people to little known towns such as Port Republic, Elwood, Lower Bank etc for people to see how they've evolved. They've only been able to evolve the way they have because of their lack of being "on the map". While only once a year, look at the traffic generated on 563 during the Cranberry festival, I wouldn’t expect volume be that constant, but it might give a hint as to what it may look like on some days. Same goes with the historic sites, and other forgotten places… we all know what tends to happen to places once too many know about them, they aren’t there for long (as we know them)- especially when found by a certain magazine. Normally quiet places such as Oswego Lake, Harrisville, Chestnut Neck, Weymouth, and Belleplain might suddenly become very busy. One of the last things the Pines need are more people wandering its land.

Route 50 is mentioned as a corridor to be used, which going to have it own share of increased traffic with the new interchange. Places like Laureldale have been allowed to evolve the way it has again thanks to a lack of visibility... I hope once the interchange is completed the area wont trend in the direction of how the next full service Exit (12- The Mall) has, which is a disaster. But that’s another story.

Would all this be good for the economy, especially in areas hurting (like EHC and Woodbine where the meetings are being held), sure... but at what cost?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I really doubt that this would draw any tourists or have a noticeable impact on the area. Just like our pal Kim, most people find the pine barrens boring :) We have had this same discussion before in other threads.

The thing which caught my attention in that article was the $200,000 "planning fee". Following that money, and any additional grants, might be a more interesting "trail" than taking a drive down the road....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Pinlands Commission Byway site; lots of maps, info etc.

http://www.state.nj.us/pinelands/landuse/reg/byway.html

This says it all in a nutshell;

"The Southern Pinelands Natural Heritage Trail was designated as an official New Jersey State Scenic Byway in August 2005. Now that the byway has received state recognition, the nomination will be forwarded to the U.S. Secretary of Transportation for federal designation. Listing as a byway enables the sponsors to apply for program-affiliated grants and provides access to a variety of promotional and marketing opportunities, including development of visitor centers, wayside exhibits, and self-guided tours. The byway will also be featured in the U.S. Department of the Interior's byway website and in other state and national tourism materials and maps and will feature highway signage supplied by the New Jersey Department of Transportation."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The thing which caught my attention in that article was the $200,000 "planning fee".

Looking at your link 46er, it appears as though much of that money is going to "consultants" in Massachusetts, Colorado, Washington and New York.

Consulting Team

The Corridor Management Plan is being prepared by a team of consultants with expertise in land use, natural and historic resources, transportation and tourism.

Taintor & Associates, Inc.
Newburyport, Massachusetts
978-462-0404
Rick Taintor, Project Manager
Juliet Walker
Susan Brown

Whiteman Consulting, Ltd.
Boulder, Colorado
John Whiteman

Paul Daniel Marriott & Associates
Washington, DC
Dan Marriott

Howard/Stein-Hudson Associates, Inc.
New York, New York
Keri Pyke

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Route 50 is mentioned as a corridor to be used, which going to have it own share of increased traffic with the new interchange.

I just got off the Expressway on Route 50 yesterday, and they have begun work there. Cut down a lot of big trees which were all stacked beside the exit ramp. Orange barrels and cones are lining Route 50 by the interchange. Note to self: start avoiding this area...

Regarding commercialization... don't hold your breath waiting for the day you can go on a shopping trip to the Laureldale Mall, especially in this economy and the retail shakeout. The malls in Hamilton are getting hit pretty bad with the Circuit City, Linens and Things and other store closings. I think they will have plenty of space available for rent for awhile.

Personally I wouldn't expect to see much more than a Wawa at interchange 50, if even that. But I've been wrong before :)

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I just got off the Expressway on Route 50 yesterday, and they have begun work there. Cut down a lot of big trees which were all stacked beside the exit ramp. Orange barrels and cones are lining Route 50 by the interchange. Note to self: start avoiding this area...

Regarding commercialization... don't hold your breath waiting for the day you can go on a shopping trip to the Laureldale Mall, especially in this economy and the retail shakeout. The malls in Hamilton are getting hit pretty bad with the Circuit City, Linens and Things and other store closings. I think they will have plenty of space available for rent for awhile.

Personally I wouldn't expect to see much more than a Wawa at interchange 50, if even that. But I've been wrong before :)

lol, yea that intersection has been on the table now for so long I'm surprised its actually going through, It had run into quite a few environmental hurdles. I saw they had moved in some big equipment the other day, so it sounds like its finally begun. Once completed it's going to feature two stoplights (replacing the current stop signs) and an EZ-Pass only toll plaza.

I know :), I was referring more to the threat of developments being built with the newly acquired easy Atlantic City access. A few small ones have already been built in Laureldale, though that was before the whole economy mess.

Haha, you aren't the first one I've heard theorize that!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well there has been a Westbound ramp at Exit 17 all along, so I don't know why we would expect a huge change from the addition of an Eastbound one. I remember being really mad at myself one day when I had just moved to the area and was planning to get off at Exit 17 while headed East. Ended up cruising around the service area parking lot until I found a way to cut through to the Eastbound side. :bang:

But I'd agree that, sadly, eventually every acre of land which isn't somehow protected will be developed. Hopefully that is many years away though.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
About 15 years ago I did work in a development squeezed in between the A.C. Racetrack and the Expressway. Anywhere you get easy access to a major roadway houses will be built.