Scientists Find New Information on Rice-Killing Fungus

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Just great! We have what I believe is the biggest bed of wild rice in NJ down here at Maurice River Bluffs. Lot of it in the Maurice Basin scattered around quite a bit but i know of several very big beds of it.
I wonder if it's because it's Mau RICE?

Reactions: slingblade

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Al, the Oswego is mostly rice on the lower half by August now. Shocking, really. You have to make a path through it for several hundred yards in some places.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Down here the wild rice marshes are treacherous walking.Very soft much like a Spartina alterniflora marsh only even soupier mud.Spartina patens (Salt Hay) is much more walkable.I don't even try to walk through rice unless I"m walking down a stream with a current,Sometimes they'll have a decent bottom.Rice grows all up the ditch draining the swamp that surrounds my Mother in laws trailer park which is next to the maurice on one side and surrounded by swamp on the rest.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Wild rice = Zizania sp? There's a few Zizania plants in the northside ditch of Smithville Rd just south of the Barker's Brook bridge in Springfield Twp, where used to live.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The Ojibway to this day harvest wild rice in canoes in Northern Wisconsin on their reservation.They sell it in stores along the highways.They bend the plants over the canoe and beat the stalks and the ripe grains fall in the boat.