Scott, more "Brickworks"...

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
QUESTION: "What is the history of the two[,] tall[,] brick towers that are no longer in use on Route 40, Mays Landing? The towers are located next to new office buildings called [']Brickworks[']. Robert Sylvestor"

The Press' (ACP) "Answer Guy" answered:

"The two brick towers are part of the kilns left from the Atlantic Brick Manufacturing Co.
According to Dottie Kinsey, curator of the Township of Hamilton historical Society, R. Fulton and S. Fulton began turning out some of the finest bricks in the state when they built the kilns and began their brickyard business in 1892.

In 1903, the Fultons sold the plant to George Jackson, who also bought the Coleman Mansion House --- a large rooming house on Main street opposite Hanthorne Avenue. Jackson renamed the rooming house "The Jackson House."

The plant closed temporarily in 1913 to open new clay pits. But better times followed when in 1916 the brickworks reopened after it got an order for 2 million bricks for the Traymore Hotel in Atlantic City.

In 1923, a fire at the plant partially destroyed some buildings. The brick plant closed for good[,] when the clay pits were depleted in 1931.

Over the years, the property was variously used by a charcoal company, a canning company, a plumbing and heating business, and a poultry company.

Kinsey says that although office buildings have been built on the site, the owner wanted the property to retain some of its historical flavor, so he left the kiln towers and called the new buildings the ["]Brickworks Office Park.["] Ken Steinberg of Parkshore Development Corp., the site's developer, said some old bricks found at the site are incorporated into the facades of the new buildings."

Sources: Township of Hamilton Historical Society, Parkshore Development Corp.

ebsi

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
Ebsi, nice find.

Thank you for posting this. If you want some more information about the Atlantic Brick Company factory, the ASNJ has an article about them. I believe that noted South Jersey Archaeologist Alan Mounier looked at the factory several years ago. In addition, I think that some preservation measure were also undertaken there to stabilize the towers and whatever other ruins there.

Some other little known brickworks in south jersey include one in tuckerton, currently underneath a development; and, one in Winslow Junction, formerly owned by the Hydraulic Press Brick Company. If I ever get around to it, I would like to start recording the different technologies utilized in each brickmaking venture.

Yeah, in my spare time.

Scott W.

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
If you get the chance stop by there. What you cant see from the road are the kilns. There are four to six of them I can't remember. A few have collapsed or partially so, but a few were still intact. At least the last time I was back there about eight years ago. They remind me if brick igloos about 20 feet in diameter, with the center of the cieling about 12-15 feet tall. THe walls are about 4-6 feet tall. The one thing that struck me is that it would be a great place to record acoustic instruments.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
I found it particularly interesting that "...when in 1916 the brickworks reopened after it got an order for 2 million bricks for the Traymore Hotel in Atlantic City."

I wonder where the bricks came from for the other A.C. hotels, such as the Claridge.

ebsi

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
I thought that ABMC was common knowledge... Anyway, it is a shame that it took developing the actual site to bring it some attention from historical onlookers.