Scouts place flags

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
ESTELL MANOR - Dozens of young children decorated the graves of veterans they never knew, but have learned to appreciate, Wednesday.
Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts gathered at the Atlantic County Veterans Cemetery to place flags at the gravesites of the nearly 3,000 veterans buried there, in preparation for Veterans Day on Friday.
Eric Husta, assistant superintendent for the county's Parks System, said Scouts have put the flags out before Memorial Day, Veterans Day and July 4 the past few years. Scouts who participate in at least two of the events per year receive a patriotism badge, he said.
"It's ceremonial," he said. "It's a way to make a visual statement three times a year."
Mays Landing resident Madison Connelly, 9, and her brother David, 7, were at the cemetery Wednesday afternoon and discovered the grave of Alfred Keiser, who was the husband of their grandmother's neighbor.
"I like to do it to remember all the people who just wanted to help keep me safe and America safe," said Madison Connelly, a member of Girl Scout Troop 15564. "I feel good about doing it."
Haley Reinhard, 8, said she felt happy when she saw the thousands of flags lined up.
"It just looks really good," said the Egg Harbor Township resident and member of Girl Scout Troop 14580, adding she feels pride when she sees an American flag.
The county also has plans to recognize 28 veterans who reside at the Meadowview Nursing Home in Northfield on Friday afternoon. The veterans will receive certificates and be treated to a presentation that includes readings and patriotic songs.
Thank you To are Young Americans!:cool:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_5b71b416-0b34-11e1-a72f-001cc4c03286.html