Seal Sighting

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I drove down to the end of seven bridges road in Tuckerton last weekend and walked out to the water and immediately spotted a seal! This was my first sighting of a seal in Jersey waters. It appeared to be drifting with the current, going under every now and then and popping up a minute or two later. I was able to get a good view of him with a monocular, just wish I had a camera!

misclaims

Explorer
Oct 10, 2008
little egg harbor
They've been showing up for a few years now. Never used to see them before.. I've lived here my whole life and it was very rare to ever see seals. Now they show up around mid fall... usually while Im bass fishing! If you see a seal, you might as well pack your gear and move on. They are much better fishermen then we are! The pelicans are also something new.. never saw them until around 10 years ago...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We see quite a few in the Barnegat Inlet and beached on the sand. Barnegat Light State Park used to run a program, Harlequins & Seals I think it was called, in February at their Visitor Center. Fred Lesser of Ocean County Parks did the birding part, and the Mammal Stranding Center did the seal part.

If you see one beached keep clear, they have a nasty dispostion and will bite defensively.

3210783254_9b9731d38b_o.jpg

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/images/harbor-seals-and-harlequins-program-schedule-2007.pdf

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
As a youth My parents used to go to the light house any time they went to LBI. and the little mom and pop restaurant that is there used to have a tank on the bulk head end of it with seals in it , They have been coming thru there for a long time , I see them not frequently but i do see them amost every year

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the feedback, I never knew that seals were that common here. I guess I need to get down to the shore more often.