Sensitive land in Medford and Shamong

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
A large parcel of environmentally sensitive land located in parts of both Medford and Shamong townships will be permanently preserved with more than $430,000 provided by the New Jersey Pinelands Commission.
YMCA Camp Ockanickon Inc. bought the 200-acre plot of land utilizing the funds from the Commission, Burlington County, state Green Acres Funding and the Haines Family Foundation.
“First, this acquisition protects land with extensive forests and swamps that serve as the headwaters of the Rancocas Creek,” said Nancy Wittenberg, Pinelands Commissioner Executive Director.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/ar...nsitive-land-Medford-Shamong?odyssey=nav|head

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A very good purchase. However, take it from experience that even though we now own it we can't just go there and walk around. I found that out pretty quick when Jessica and I went to the girl scout camp that the state purchased. Luckily I had Jessica with me or I might have had a problem.

Guy

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
See, I don't understand the preservation rules. I once called the Green Acres office and spoke to one of the administrators. He told me any property acquired with Green Acres funding requires that "reasonable public access" be made to the property. He also told me that no "no trespassing" signs may be posted on Green Acres properties.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The one I went to had the property divided up almost in half, with one section for the public and the other for the girls. I was told by a very credible person I had the right to go there, but when we were caught I was informed that was not true. Further checking proved the person who caught us was correct. I will try and find that info and get it here.

It was interesting that while we were there we saw multiple joggers on the property. Unfortunately, we got caught.

The state preserved all of it but the left side is for the public only. You can see they divided it. We were caught to the right of the lake.

girl.jpg

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't like this part:

The fund is part of an agreement with the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities to construct and upgrade an electric power line through eastern portions of the Pinelands.

Say what?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So it may mean mowing and cutting brush along the lines.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Just a reference to a pilot mowing program?

It says on the page after your reference that ..."In 2004, the Commission authorized the development of a new electric transmission line on the eastern fringe of the Pinelands Area through an intergovernmental agreement with the Board of Public Utilities (Board)."

How do you know Gibby, that is the line they are speaking about in the article?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Just a reference to a pilot mowing program?

It says on the page after your reference that ..."In 2004, the Commission authorized the development of a new electric transmission line on the eastern fringe of the Pinelands Area through an intergovernmental agreement with the Board of Public Utilities (Board)."

How do you know Gibby, that is the line they are speaking about in the article?

Bob, that was the sentence I was referring too. It was just a guess on my part yesterday, for discussion, as I honestly don't know. I couldn't find anything specific on the Pinelands Commission website on the building of new power lines other than articles related to planing and solar power.

- In this article, the power lines have already been constructed by Atlantic City Electric.

http://www.southjerseylocalnews.com/articles/2012/11/29/region/doc50b50fc9d45f9660097636.txt

"The utility that built the transmission lines, Atlantic City Electric (formerly Conectiv), provided $13 million to establish the fund. Conservation Resources Inc. of Chester, N.J. serves as the facilitator of the program."

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
In this article, the power lines have already been constructed by Atlantic City Electric."

Hmm....now that I think about it, they might have put new lines in when expanding the Parkway. I was only concerned they had a deal to run a line right through Red Oak Grove, then Aserdaten, then the Forked River Mountains!

:eek:

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Hmm....now that I think about it, they might have put new lines in when expanding the Parkway. I was only concerned they had a deal to run a line right through Red Oak Grove, then Aserdaten, then the Forked River Mountains!

:eek:

If they did that I would be right next to you getting handcuffed and laughing about how much fun we had trying to block the construction equipment before they even made it across 539.;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob has a reason for saying what he did. I am checking into something that may surprise all of us.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't have any facts yet, but looking things over I have some information. I will try and get the photo's and information up soon. I believe I will be correct on the fact that it is true, or maybe I should say was true. Why it appears to no longer be in existance is uncertain. Maybe Jerseyman will have some info after I post.

Guy