sharkbite summer

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I just finished watching a documentary On Demand called Sharkbite Summer. It is not pine barrens related but I thought I would mention it since it is one of the best shark documentarys I've ever seen. The subject matter is the shark attacks that occured in 2001 along the lower eastern seaboard.

It is very tragic in a very real sense (as opposed to the romantic fictional sense) This makes it particularly disturbing. the re-enactments are very good and the accounts, as told by the actual victims, are powerful. Unlike most documentaries, this one has a twist at the end delivered by the narrator in the last five minutes. I won't give it away.

Check it out. also, there is a movie /documentary called "blood in the water" which recounts the nj 1916 attacks fairly well. Not as good as literature i've read on the subject but one of the better attempts at reporting that historic inncident.

Jeff

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Chris, care to talk about it?

Skateboarding mishap my senior year of high school. I was skating a half pipe, bailed and caught the metal coping at the top of the ramp with my face, drove my teeth right through my face a severed my lip.

Chris

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Skateboarding mishap my senior year of high school. I was skating a half pipe, bailed and caught the metal coping at the top of the ramp with my face, drove my teeth right through my face a severed my lip.

Chris

Yow!!!!!

Did you skate much after that?

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Did you skate much after that?

For a few more years, I had to slow down when I started to pay a mortgage. I did not want to take a chance of getting hurt and not being able to pay my note. I skated from about 1982-1999.

Chris

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
What about this guy? what is he trying to prove? That great whites are not dangerous, even friendly? Why do you think that shark is hanging around him for so long? This guy is either extremely brave, or completely crazy. I tend to think the later. I can't imagine why anybody would do this except for the huge ego trip.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I worry that all of this press about sharks in the swimming zone will cause people to kill them.

I doubt that. Most sharks are regulated by the state and federally. Catching is allowed per those regs, see page 2 & 6 at the link. Won't stop the idiots amongst us, but they would most likely be reported by someone. Pretty tough to dispatch a large shark without someone noticing it.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/digmar11-19.pdf

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I doubt that. Most sharks are regulated by the state and federally. Catching is allowed per those regs, see page 2 & 6 at the link. Won't stop the idiots amongst us, but they would most likely be reported by someone. Pretty tough to dispatch a large shark without someone noticing it.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/digmar11-19.pdf
I don't doubt it at all. I've seen it with my own two eyes.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't doubt it at all. I've seen it with my own two eyes.

Should you ever be back here and see it again, here's a number to call; 1 (800) 222-0456

Just make sure it is not a Dogfish, they look like a shark, but are not. They are members of the Skate family and not covered by the regs.

fgw_ogt.gif

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Interesting stat: About 10 people per year are killed by sharks. Humans, on the other hand, kill about a hundred million sharks per year. (I just read this in a fish story called "The Scales Fall" by Elizabeth Kolbert in the 8/2 issue of The New Yorker magazine.)