Short Interesting Morning

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We headed out early and visited Howardsville. I had not noticed the two pet graves just at the corner of the town. Here is one of them.

IMG_4287.JPG

WaretownMike ...were you at Howardsville today?

Then we went looking for a stone. Not incised but still an interesting. This property was I believe at one time owned by Rudy from the Cedar Bridge Tavern.

IMG_4285.JPG

Then I stepped on what I was told may be a King snake. It was not happy.

IMG_4296.jpg

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4307.jpg

Guy

Reactions: Gibby and John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was taking photo's of it when my phone rang and I described it and was told maybe a king. That is how I came up with that.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been busy and will go into more detail. Jessica and I were in the Parker Preserve and were walking across a semi sandy area and I believe I stepped on it. I saw it just as I put my foot down and tried to fall away. It hid slightly under some brush and as I was getting out my camera it stood up just like a cobra which from what I read is a hog nose trait. It really looked like a cobra. I then chased it a few feet and it stopped under the tree where I took photo's and a video of it hissing. It was not happy for sure. Just as I was doing this my phone rang and I semi described it to the person I was talking to and they made a quick guess of King. My description was poor and that is the reason for the error. It was not until I got home and checked out the photo's that the head looked odd and I had my doubts.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Fast forward to this morning (Sunday) and I headed out early to search for a stone near the West Jersey Cranberry Meadow. Access to this is along the entrance to Atco Dragway. On my way down the White Horse Pike before 6AM I got behind a large contingent of Honda vehicles and followed them all the way down Jackson Road. I was wondering where they were going and as I neared the Dragway I could see that it was all lit up and traffic was backing up. This was before 6AM and seemed unusual. Anyway, I was able to get in the entrance and park in the open field where I took this photo. There were thousands of people there already.

IMG_4309.JPG

The place was really noisy and after entering the woods and walking almost a mile I took this video at 6:19AM.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Wow Guy, you wrote your report before I even went out. I was tilling the garden then we went to Parker Southgate for a hike, picnic.
I was waiting for traffic at the bottom of my driveway when 3 pickups, one with a really big trailer passed by. They were all loaded with fire wood, unsplit big old logs. I was going down Carranza to Speedwell and so were they so I dropped behind. One eventually signaled me to pass and as I did I spoke with him. I said "if you are going to dump them, you can dump them at my house". He said it was their 4th load of wood to the Pioneer Gun Club, and that they store it inside. Coming back from Parker I passed them again. I'd like to see the inside of that place.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I met up with one of the members of the club and he took me and Lost Town Hunter in to show us photo's his parents had. That club use to be at Sandy Ridge. I have photo of that club at Sandy Ridge, inside it, and after it was knocked down by the state. I also have photo's of the original club at it's present location with the huge fireplace. I unfortunately don't have photo's of the present one inside. I did not want to take out my camera with all of them in there. I was using my hand held scanner to scan the photo's and was concentrating on that. They are not my photo's and if I use them anywhere he wants credit for them. Maybe one day for a book. If I had photo's from my camera I would show them but I don't.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
What was the location of the club at Sandy Ridge? Sandy Ridge has always been somewhat nebulous, unless you consider it to be an area, not a specific place. Do you know when the current club was built?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
"They are not my photo's and if I use them anywhere he wants credit for them. "

That is sad that he doesn't want to share, he is a member here. What would this site be if everyone had that attitude!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
"They are not my photo's and if I use them anywhere he wants credit for them. "

That is sad that he doesn't want to share, he is a member here. What would this site be if everyone had that attitude!

Maybe I said that wrong. He wants me to add his name to any photo I use and I was hoping to save them maybe for a book one day.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What was the location of the club at Sandy Ridge? Sandy Ridge has always been somewhat nebulous, unless you consider it to be an area, not a specific place. Do you know when the current club was built?

They purchased the current property on 16 Jan 1958.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

This was the Pioneer Club. The photo from Carranza Road shows a big "Pioneer" sign on it. It is believed that was the pickers house. The house was in three sections and it is not known if the two on each side of the main one was moved there from another location at Sandy Ridge or was added. The wood looks the same and is weathered the same so they may have been moved.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04132014/pioneer.jpg

BTW, the gun club at Hampton was called Quinton Antlers. It relocated to the south side of Tuckerton and Old Indian Mills Road (Oriental). I was told it is no longer in existence. That was located here.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04132014/hampton.jpg

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That's interesting about Quinton at Hampton. Another foundation identified.

Quinton on Tuckerton Rd today.
P1030709.JPG