Show Some Love for the Forgotten 22 Percent

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al Horner article in the Sandpaper.

As someone who uses a GPS constantly out there, I find this line to be incorrect in regards to visitors using one.

GPS does not work accurately in the Pinelands.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That's ridiculous. Why wouldn't a GPS work properly? GPS is actually much more accurate in our flat terrain, things like steep canyon walls or tall buildings are what can cause issues with signal blockage and reflection. To be charitable, old GPS units had problems with heavy tree cover, so maybe that's what he is thinking of? Back around 2004 my old Garmin and Magellan devices would often lose signal on roads that had large trees overhanging. But that really isn't a problem anymore. Or maybe he means that the pre-loaded maps on an automotive GPS don't show any details in the Pines?

In reality, I think he is just promoting his agenda for signage and a MAP...

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
In reality, I think he is just promoting his agenda for signage and a MAP...
It's patently obvious too, that he wants paved roads everywhere and to have them crack down on everybody that ever drove on sand roads. Look at what he says in here. It's a litany of his gripes.

"but it remains just a large hunk of bareness (as in the Pine Barrens)"

"Maps would tell everyone where motor vehicles can be used and where they cannot."

"People are afraid to use the roads in the Pinelands for fear of getting stuck, getting lost or running into off-road vehicles that are presently dominating the roadways"

"Ban off-road vehicle events. They are not an appropriate use for such a sensitive habitat. They are disturbingly noisy, dirty and environmentally destructive to the Pinelands and its flora and fauna. They displace other people from the areas ORV riders use for their events."

"No vision can work unless the present rules and regulations are enforced."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Isn't Al (Horner) a member of the PPA? It seems he was bashing the organizations he was a member of for not following the rules.

I think they have parted ways. He is no longer on the board I hear. Let's hear from others on that.