Sidney Smith Houses

dennis2

Scout
Sep 22, 2020
Deptford, NJ
Hiked up around Nash’s Cabin on New Year’s Day with a couple of buddies and spent some time looking around the cellar holes that I had mentioned in my earlier post. The ones located here: https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.708360/-74.494134/cook/0.00/0.00, which lie in a cleared area designated on the map. Spent a fair amount of time scratching my head, which got me nowhere.

So I came home after a great day of hiking around and carefully re-read Rich Watson’s awesome article about Nash’s Cabin in the Spring 2016 SoJourn. In the article, he identified that cleared area on the 1885 Cook Topo Map as having belonged to a gentleman named Sidney Smith, who purchased it in 1871 and by the late 1870’s or early 1800’s had built two houses on the property.

Well, I’m no great researcher, but when someone like Watson puts two and two together, I’ve got to hazard a guess that the answer might be four, so I contacted him and he graciously confirmed that even though there are no deed records that locate where in that tract the houses were located, that he has no doubt that they represent the Smith houses.

Mystery solved!

If you haven’t read his article, I highly recommend it (as well as his article about Calico). There’s a lot more good stuff to the story. Amazing research and a great read!

Reactions: Ben Ruset and Boyd