Silver Fox Inn

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Not sure what this has to do with the Pine Barrens but I have always wondered about it. Does anybody know the story behind the Silver Fox Inn on the White Horse Pike in Hammonton? It seems to be closed but there are always lights on in the windows and the same old Cadillac has been parked out front for years. I have heard rumors about it being mafia owned but who knows about that?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hooo Boy !!

Now there's a story, Foxy is still there and still parties !!! It's frightening
actually. Some not for this site. She just passed a birthday, something like
113 years or so. As a youth it was a big deal for me to go in with the parents for Saturday dinner see the stuffed fox, eat the food.
WELL... All you get now is booze, it's been a while since I've been
'bout 18 months. The same decorations go from year to year since the husband died. they never come down and now Sinatra is on the juke next to britanny spears !! It is a nite owl place so you gotta stop in late if at all.
That Caddy has been on 3 flats forever.

(did I just reveal any ugliness about myself ?? )
G.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
On the more serious side

I might not have actually answered the question regarding it's past.
Just a little of the present.
My family is originally from the area so I know a little. Any one may feel free to correct.
I believe That fox runs ( hunts ) used to be run out of there, years ago my grandfather told of fox cages, many, out back. I am not sure if there was a breader or if they just kept them there. Now I believe the place changed hands over time so Why does the old lady there call herself foxy ?? well
let's just say you would be morbidly surprised.
I want to confirm with my dad but I am almost certain that there is a dirt airfield out back ( long distressed I am sure ) that a local cropduster used to fly from up into the sixties.
Again if I am off feel free anyone for input.

After the husband died the place really did take a dive.
To bury that old skeleton in my closet, I can attest that in recent years
it ain't so good. Not too many years ago it seems ( although my kids were not born ) I had a six month stretch of 4 day weeks. All Mondays off.
Some friends of mine that knew Foxy used to close a local tap room, call her & she would open at like 2:00 a.m. on Sunday night.There were no more beer taps so it was all liquor ( till like daylite - how did I ever pull that off )
The place was dark, dusty, old decs. etc. Foxy was a funny lady though.
Heck although it's only been a couple months since the birthday passed I really do not know if she is around as I write this.
Every now & then it still seems open & I stopped by like I said about 1-1/2 years ago. Same depressing stuff. I left.

Couldn't tell you about mob activity, I do not think there is any validity to that.

It's a shame really, another neat old place with a touch of history just left to rot ( in a matter of speaking ) I still remember the exitement as a kid to go into the bar area where they had a huge stuffed monkey in a fancy chair.
Oh well

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Funny.......

Back in the mid-80's, we used to drive past every Saturday & Sunday taking our boats to Crawley's Landing. My buddies & I used to talk about it being the wierdest place. We used to speculate that if you went in there, they'd kill you, put you in the freezer & serve you to the next people that stopped in. (goofy teenage mind wanderings). Once, we were driving up WHP & got a flat tire on the boat trailer. It was after dark. The closest place to stop & call my friend's dad (to bring us out a spare) was the Silver Fox. My buddy said "Screw that, I am NOT stopping in there" He continued up the pike, dragging the flat tire until he found a "safer" place to stop.

A few years ago, we passed at night during a snowstorm. I pulled into the Foxes parking lot. I said "let's go in for a drink" my wife said "Here....are you kidding, you best keep on driving 'cause I'm NOT going in here" I chuckled & drove off.

I now have to stop in. Thanks for bringing this topic up, & thanks Largo, for all the info!

Oh yeah......the Cadillac was there back in the mid 80's

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I did at least confirm with a friend in Hammonton about the airfield.
I can see no trace of it on Google Maps or Topo.
Even my friend can not remember the family name that owns it now.

You should have went inside, it's like being on a different planet !!
A twighlite zone episode at the least.

Countryboy35

Oct 15, 2005
I too can remember that caddy sitting there bacxk in the early 80's, Also heard the same rumors. Thanks for all the info. I'd like to stop in there some time.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well I don't think this thread had anything to do with it but I drove past the Silver Fox tonight at 6 p.m. and the parking lot was full!
I am estimating 40-50 cars.
I have never seen more than 3 cars in the lot in the last 30 years or so that I have paid any attention to the place.
It had to be a private party.
Now I have to go in there to check it out.
Scott

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Funny, this place sounds a lot like an old restaurant in Hamilton called Giovi's. It sits right where Rt. 130 South splits (if you bear right right you're on Rt. 156) just before Bordentown. Most people just call it "The lighthouse" because there's a 40 foot tall light from an old Navy lightship in the parking lot. When my parents were kids the place supposedly had the best buffett around and it was really expensive. In recent years it's just been open for parties that friends of the owners were throwing. The mortgage was paid off years ago and the family is pretty wealthy so they just open it when they want. So sometimes you'll see 200 cars in the lot and sometimes none. I heard recently that it's been sold and they're putting an Outback Steakhouse in. I just hope they don't take the light down-and if they do I want a piece of the scrap!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
RednekF350 said:
Well I don't think this thread had anything to do with it but I drove past the Silver Fox tonight at 6 p.m. and the parking lot was full!
I am estimating 40-50 cars.
I have never seen more than 3 cars in the lot in the last 30 years or so that I have paid any attention to the place.
It had to be a private party.
Now I have to go in there to check it out.
Scott

And there's the funny part.... Every now & then, but rarely, you get that.
Makes it all the more curious don't it.
Normally you would see this during one of the "parties"
Maybe they're reviving the old scene ( doubt it )

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Lumpy,
(Boy I'm not sure I could keep calling anyone that)
Yes, in the interest of discovery, Three NJPB members went in, three came out, all well & good. Not exactly Blair witch. We had booze, they didn't.
While crude, you may check out some pics in my gallery. They attest to the Caddy, The Lawn furniture, Trinkets beyond compare, One cool old Joint, yes evidence in one pic of service right out of a six pack, and finally the lady of grace, Foxy herself. Corpses... well, I have seen people there in various stages of decay some years back.
Welcome to the site.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Thanks all for the info! Great stuff! I gotta get back in there soon. I heard there was a dining hall in the back. My dad said their signature was liverwurst sandwiches. I can't imagine what's in some of those rooms.

There was a dining room, I as a youth have dined in it on food cooked by the Fox herself I found out. Scott is pictured in it's humble offerings in my gallery. Today, No sandwiches, and the rooms... best you not ask.

G.

JERZEEYGRL

Oct 1, 2009
Back in the late 80's my husband and I ate at the Silver Fox Restaraunt, with another couple. We did it on a bet. We decided that it would be a very fun and interesting date. It sure was! The waitress who took our order, had a urgency about her when asking what you wanted to order. All 4 of us sat at the table whispering to each other, because there was an older woman who stood next to the kitchen door, that just stared at us. It felt like to me that, we had entered an area that we were not welcome. Surprisingly, the food was very good. I always think of that double baked potato I had there, eveytime I pass the building. It was a very interesting evening.
:happycat:

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
The sign dissapeared recently, but I think it may have just taken me a while to notice. The car is still there though.

The Silver Fox finally had a new sign put up. The half viewed from the east was installed last Wednesday and the westbound side on Thursday. Below the logo will be the dates of their upcoming events. Both Foxy and Anita seemed pleased with it. Watched a couple middle innings there Wed. night, as both are Phillies fans. Foxy had her rally towel waving and all. Go Phils!

John-

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
We drove past the Fox on Friday night, saw the new sign & 4 cars in the lot (plus the blue caddy) We were on our way to rescue my nephew who was stuck in a water hole along Fleming Pike. This was around 20:30. By the time I got him out & installed a new alternator for him, it was 23:30. I was dirty & wet, the wife was cold & my dog was tired so we went home, vowing to stop in one day soon.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
That was probably their annual Halloween party. They were expecting more than four cars, though.

John-

Hey Muck, nice twist on the Hank Jr lyrics in your signature.