Sim Place Sold?

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Someone told me that Bill Haines (from Hog Wallow) bought Sim Place. Does anyone know if this is true? I've heard so much about the place but have never been out there. Its private property and has been well gated for years. Has anyone ever been out there before and could describe what's left?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Oriental said:
Someone told me that Bill Haines (from Hog Wallow) bought Sim Place. Does anyone know if this is true? I've heard so much about the place but have never been out there. Its private property and has been well gated for years. Has anyone ever been out there before and could describe what's left?

Rich,

There were several articles about the sale mentioned here. Here is one thread with an article.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=1580

A few of us have been there.

Guy

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I must have had my head in the sand out here in Tabernacle! Had I become a member of this outstanding site earlier, I guess I wouldn't miss such things. Thanks.

I guess the old place must have changed alot since National Geographic did that article 30+ years ago. Probably not much out there now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Oriental said:
I must have had my head in the sand out here in Tabernacle! Had I become a member of this outstanding site earlier, I guess I wouldn't miss such things. Thanks.

I guess the old place must have changed alot since National Geographic did that article 30+ years ago. Probably not much out there now.

What changed? It is cranberry bogs. Maybe the buildings are gone. Are you talking about the January 1974 article?

If you have that article, check out the vehicle on page 68. I have photo's that I have taken of a vehicle just like that which I found in the woods years ago. I posted a while back and it may still be in a post somewhere.

Guy

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
oops! Guy, here I go again!

I posted a special reply to you in regard to the photos you posted with the trucks...and placed it in the thread for the snappers. Enjoy your wild goose chase! :)
Also, when you click on your photo link...several of us posted to that as well. It took me awhile to figure out why my post didn't show up on the main page in the thread. (It looked a whole page was missing)....at least I am not alone with my confusion.

Rubibee

Scout
Dec 10, 2002
Moorestown, NJ
Oriental said:
National Geographic did that article 30+ years ago.

My husband knows the kid in the truck on page 76. They use to go to school together and hung together for many years. It was always so cool for him to say he actually knew someone who (photographed) was in NG.

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
Sim Place

As A Long Time Hunter Of Indian Relics, I Was Always Interested In Getting Over To Sim Place.............it Was Named After The Last Native Indian Chief Of The Area,a Lenape Named Chief Simmy........he And About Thirty Members Of His Tribe Lived Out Their Last Years There.........camping Along Pappoose Brook,which Of Course,got Its Name From Some Indian Use............some Day Hopefully They Will Leave The Gate Unlocked And Ill Hike In There...........there Are Very Few Authenticated Sites In The Barrens...........some Folks Say Theyve Found Artifacts Along Cedar Creek Below Double Trouble......but That Was Some Years Back.......press On,strom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
strom said:
As A Long Time Hunter Of Indian Relics, I Was Always Interested In Getting Over To Sim Place.............it Was Named After The Last Native Indian Chief Of The Area,a Lenape Named Chief Simmy........he And About Thirty Members Of His Tribe Lived Out Their Last Years There.........camping Along Pappoose Brook,which Of Course,got Its Name From Some Indian Use............some Day Hopefully They Will Leave The Gate Unlocked And Ill Hike In There...........there Are Very Few Authenticated Sites In The Barrens...........some Folks Say Theyve Found Artifacts Along Cedar Creek Below Double Trouble......but That Was Some Years Back.......press On,strom

I was there two weekends ago and the gate was open. I was going to just drive in and if caught say I though it was a thru road. But I was heading home all covered in yellow from the pollen of the pines.

Guy

Theressa

Aug 10, 2007

Hi,
In 03 or so I was out there. Standing was a cement garage, a large, falling in building said to have been a packing house and a home where a family was living, caretaker I guess. That was it!
T.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yup. The large building was the packing house (not in use anymore) and the house is now unoccupied.

The people who work at Sim Place come from Hog Wallow. The place needs a LOT of work because it was neglected for so many years.