Slackpack the batona

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
i'm planning a slackpacking trip of the Batona Trail first weekend of May. "Slackpacking" is when a shuttle vehicle takes your gear ahead to camp and you carry a daypack with raingear and lunch. this may give a few that don't have lightweight gear to complete the Batona in one trip.

leaving Bass river on 5/1 and hiking to Buttonwood Camp (there is a new blue blaze off trail) then 5/2 to Batona Camp and 5/3 to Ong's Hat to finish up.

there are many points you could get off if you don't want to do the whole trail or you could just hang out and camp as they are all drive-in camp sites.

there is no fee for this (other then $2 a nite to Batsto), but you may want to feed the driver :).

what are your thoughts on this. i think it will give people a chance to do the trail without the cost of ultra lite gear. My pack is 22 lb with food , but about $1500+ worth of gear, too much for just a weekend. i will be carrying a SPOT, GPS and Phone.

ANY TAKERS:)

TY
KK

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
It's nice overnighting on the Batona Trail with a daypack. I've accomplished this by caching my sleeping gear, food & water. Slackpacking is a better option since you don't run the risk of arriving at camp at the end of the day, tired, thirsty and hungry, only to discover that a human or animal has appropriated your stash.

If you had done this on 3/1, I would have considered going, but by 5/1 the Batona Trail is going to be teeming with deer ticks. One round of Lyme disease was enough for me. I don't want to step in that ring again. :D

BTW, where is Buttonwood Camp?

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
the unnow

It's nice overnighting on the Batona Trail with a daypack. I've accomplished this by caching my sleeping gear, food & water. Slackpacking is a better option since you don't run the risk of arriving at camp at the end of the day, tired, thirsty and hungry, only to discover that a human or animal has appropriated your stash.

If you had done this on 3/1, I would have considered going, but by 5/1 the Batona Trail is going to be teeming with deer ticks. One round of Lyme disease was enough for me. I don't want to step in that ring again. :D

Primitive Campsites: Bodine Field, Hawkins Bridge, Batona, Mullica River and Goshen Pond have hand pumps for water and pit toilets. Buttonwood Hill and Lower Forge sites have no water. Mullica River and Lower Forge can only be accessed by hiking, canoeing or horseback; motor vehicles are not permitted. All other areas are accessible by motor vehicles. Please call ahead for campfire regulations. Maximum campsite capacities vary from 50 to 250 persons. $2 per person per night

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
the unknown camp

Primitive Campsites: Bodine Field, Hawkins Bridge, Batona, Mullica River and Goshen Pond have hand pumps for water and pit toilets. Buttonwood Hill and Lower Forge sites have no water. Mullica River and Lower Forge can only be accessed by hiking, canoeing or horseback; motor vehicles are not permitted. All other areas are accessible by motor vehicles. Please call ahead for campfire regulations. Maximum campsite capacities vary from 50 to 250 persons. $2 per person per night
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e....586641,-74.529877&spn=0.482604,0.869293&z=10

last camp on map

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
got no takers, so i'm camping at Bass river this friday night, hiking to Lower Forge sat night, then to Ongs Hat sunday. no support. if any one is out at bass river or lwer forge look me up. will be wearing a Hawaiian dragon shirt and red hat :)