Small game season opens...

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Not the traditional small game opener that I grew up with.
Squirrel and rabbit have been open since September 27.
The only thing opening tomorrow is the pen raised birdie season. And grouse in the south, if you can find one.
If you are visiting a WMA tomorrow just remember to duck and cover !

Reactions: dogg57 and noboat

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Wish they would survive a winter and reproduce. I would buy some and put them out on a property.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Wish they would survive a winter and reproduce. I would buy some and put them out on a property.

They will, pheasant are hardy birds. There is a minimum order of 20. I used to do this behind my place with quail when I was training dogs. I still see some every now and then.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
They will, pheasant are hardy birds. There is a minimum order of 20. I used to do this behind my place with quail when I was training dogs. I still see some every now and then.

I have never been a fan of, or have participated in, put-and-take hunting. I'd love to see them release more birds AFTER the season, giving the ones that do survive nine months or so to become something resembling wild, if not native, birds.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If you believe the state survey results, there are plenty of wild birds, or previous season stockee's and off spring, walking around. Using the last survey results available 2011-2012, there were an estimated 235K pheasants taken, with only 50k being stocked. Similarly, an estimated 65K Quail taken with only 11K stocked. Pretty impressive, as we know how honest hunters are about their take ;)