Small school forged big memories

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Small school forged big memories

MILMAY — For more than 70 years, the former Milmay School educated scores of students inside its quaint two-room schoolhouse on High Street.​
Youngsters in grades K-5 were taught to read and write, and learned about the world around them. But more importantly — as a group of former students in charge of its reunion party attest — the school has helped forge lifelong friendships that still stand today.​
“There were many generations that have gone through there,” Mary Jane Krokos said of her former grade school. “Some of us have become lifelong friends because we were in that unique school. It was a really good time in our lives.”​

I was just wondering if anyone else went to a one- or two-room school house in the Pine Barrens?

My brother (class of '67) and I (class of '71) had a wonderful time at the reunion, along with our wives. My sister (class of '74) lives in Spain so of course she missed out. It was quite the experience. A folding chalkboard separated the brick building into two classrooms. Students took written tests on pieces of scrap paper. We had no playground equipment other than a ball or two. As a result of our economy we sent thousands back to the school board each year. The lunch room was down the basement, accessed through the coat closet.

Meals were home-made with local produce, except for monthly scrambled eggs. The federal government supplied free powdered mix because they considered us underprivileged. Yuk. Mrs. Wilkins, the ancient cook, profusely apologized but we couldn't waste. Some text books were from the turn of the century with names of parents or on occasion grandparents in their cover plate. I learned to spell airplane as aeroplane. A cop was a constable on patrol. Zeke the Handyman and Br'er Rabbit were our literary moral compass. We spent a lot of time on local history, sang old-timey songs, and even square danced.

One tune still haunts me, My Garden State, I'm so Proud of You! ...when I am far from home, I always get that yearning, that aching homesick feeling that is forever burning, burning. No other place on Earth will ever do, my Garden State I'm so proud of you! I would love to find the sheet music from that one. What an anachronism. I'm still conflicted as to whether we were lamentably disadvantaged or the luckiest pupils in the State!

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Jerseyman inspired me having pointed out archive photos of Richland and Milmay Schools, my two- and four-room almae matres! It was wooden rulers, not a hickory switch, that one teacher at Milmay would shatter across hooligans knuckles, and it hurt!

Screen shot 2016-06-19 at 9.54.55 PM.png
New Jersey. State Board of Education. 1916. Annual Report of the State Board of Education and of the Commissioner of Education of New Jersey with Accompanying Documents for the School Year Ending June 30th 1916. (Plate opposite p. 116).

https://dspace.njstatelib.org/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10929/28721/1916.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y.

The above photo of the old Richland School would have been taken from the vantage point of the north end of my property at the corner of Moody and Main Avenues. Moody was the janitor and Richland’s third resident, having arrived in January 1885. The building remained vacant after the new school was built and it burned down in the early ‘20s. The new four-room Richland School was retrofitted into the local school board office and is still used.

Screen shot 2016-06-19 at 10.13.36 PM.png

photo purported to be a class pose taken at the old Richland School.

Milmay’s one-r0om school lived on as a “Colored Church” behind the old post office, and was derelict by the 1970s – basically falling down after long abandonment. Happily, the two-room new Milmay School lives on as a private residence that is well-conserved by its current owner.

Oh, a graduate student doing music research at Rutgers read the above post about the Garden State song, and turned me on to its origin: My Garden State (Song of New Jersey), lyric and melody by Edna Mohr, published by Dave Ringle, 1607 Broadway, New York, NY. Thank you Trey!

mod-ern farms pro - duc - ing more and more ____ With
new mach-chines they nev-er had be-fore ____

S-M

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd and Teegate