Small town Piney makes good

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Worked an overtime last night at the Liberty Bell Pavillion that got me some press coverage, anybody see me on channel 6 news using some conservation techniques on the Bell? Also have a piece in Thursdays Inquirer under the South Jersey section. Not a super big thing, but its nice to know when your work is appreciated.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
long-a-coming said:
Hey thats pretty cool man, I missed the news last night but I'll check out the Inquirer tomorrow. Do you work at the Bell regularly?

I'm a conservation ranger with The National Park Service at Independence Hall. Part of my regular routine is to examine and dust the bell.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
bruset said:
I love the liberty bell.

Not to sound corny, but one of the reasons I got involved with a history career is because of the experience I had at the Bell and Hall as a kid. Its funny thinking back and looking were I am today.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Ariadne said:
Wow, you are famous!

But not as infamous as I am. :)

I think the coolest thing is not the news, thats sort of regular with the Park and Bell, but the excellent pics the photographer sent me.

I'll raise an infamy for a dubious:jd:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Piney Boy said:
Not to sound corny, but one of the reasons I got involved with a history career is because of the experience I had at the Bell and Hall as a kid. Its funny thinking back and looking were I am today.

Ok, so what was your Bell experience?

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
bruset said:
Ok, so what was your Bell experience?

Well, its not so much as some moment of clarity or awakening, but more along the lines of feeling the stories of many involved with the Bell. For me, history is best told through stories of everyday people, from the ground up if you will. Its always been that way for me.
Its the stories of Pass & Stow who remolded the Bell after the first crack, and the people who helped get it out of Philly with the coming British Occupation. As I boy I certainly didn't get this, but I do remember seeing a picture of the Bell at a train stop in the MidWest, and the throngs of people there to greet it. These were average people that for some reason spoke to me, I guess its about the many shapes and faces America comes in. That picture has sat with me since I was a kid, still does. So looking back today that was one of incidents that led me to a career in history.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I remember getting in trouble because I was rapping on the bell with my knuckle trying to make it "ding" so I could say I heard the bell ring.

I was like 9 or 10 at the time, though.

And I would do it again...

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Krloucks said:
You must have loved the movie "National Treasure" then!

Sometimes big movie studios are mixed blessings. I like using history as a vehicle to teach the general public, but am sometimes skeptical about the way the message is sent. Real life is as good as any fiction, so it bothers me when history is bent for "storylines". I'd be lying if I were to say I didn't enjoy interacting with certain celebrities, many I've dealt with have been just great people, but often controlling the crowds and followers with them is a difficult task.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
bruset said:
I remember getting in trouble because I was rapping on the bell with my knuckle trying to make it "ding" so I could say I heard the bell ring.

I was like 9 or 10 at the time, though.

And I would do it again...

Shame, shame, I know your name..:rofl:

Sadly, after the last Bell attack 3 years ago rules had to be tightened for the objects safety. While it was never encouraged those who wished to were able to touch the Bell, but as T. Jefferson said; "If all men were angels there would be no need for government."