Smart Phone App: MotionX GPS

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I've been using this app on my phone instead of carrying a seperate GPS device. I'm pretty happy with it as it offers some really great features for less than a buck.

It offers 6 different maps to view - Satellite, Road, Terrain, etc. It also allows easy GPX exports from the device of any points you mark, tracks, waypoints, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this app? What are your thoughts?

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I have this app on my IPHONE and am pretty impressed with it, although I have not used it much. I used it once on a flight back from Las Vegas and when placed near the Window it showed my altitude, position, direction and speed. I also use their other product, Motion X GPS Drive in my car for road mapping and it is as good or better than the big Magellan and Garmin unts that I've used.

Reactions: WaretownMike

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I've ditched my Garmin for now but it does suck battery life like crazy. If I'm out for 3 hours my phone is near dead. Perhaps I'll play around with the power saving settings next outing...

I really like how you can mark a spot and associate a pic with that spot and it inserts it in the map for future reference