Smart Phones

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Like my phone? I'm finally moving up to a smart phone via AT&T (local tower). Which one is a good one?

flippie.PNG

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Would you like to use GPS/Mapping programs? I am pretty much done with Garmin and using apps now. Over the next couple months I will build a new website where my maps will be available in formats for a couple popular inexpensive/free apps on both Android and Apple phones. Galileo runs on both platforms and I like it. I believe you get a free trial of the "pro" version but after about a week you need to pay $9 in order to keep the feature that lets you add your own maps. https://galileo-app.com

My favorite app is OruxMaps, it is free but only available for Android. http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html

I prefer Apple, primarily because it integrates so well with my large iTunes library of over 600 movies and 600 TV shows as well as Apple's mail and other software. I have an Android tablet, and that is fine. I might have gotten an Android phone is I didn't already have so much invested in Apple's system.

If you go with Apple, don't buy the bottom of the line 16gb phone - get as much memory as you can afford. That really isn't enough storage (especially for maps) and you cannot upgrade after purchasing. Android phones typically have memory card slots so you can expand storage as needed.

I have the 128gb iPhone 6s Plus, which is the current "flagship" model. Very happy with this phone, it has performance equal to most laptop computers and the full HD 5.5" screen is beautiful. Rather large to carry around, but worth it for me. The recently introduced iPhone SE gives you similar performance with a 4" screen. This is a popular model and may be hard to find at the moment.

For Android, really not experienced with phones but Samsung seems highly regarded. Have been happy with my Samsung Android tablet.

AT&T has recently discontinued their "subsidized" phones and now they have a program called "Next" when you purchase the phone on installment payments over a fixed period such as 18 months or 30 months. These are actually 0% loans and you own the phone at the end, however 6 months before the contract is up you can trade it in for a new phone if desired. There is no down payment and you can pay it off in full at any time if you like.

They have also moved to flat rate monthly plans called "mobile share" with unlimited talk and text messages. In the past, these were attractive if you have several family members on the same plan but not good for individuals. I switched to one of these plans in December though and it is saving me a lot of money as they now have a nice option for a single user.

Data usage is separate. I had an unlimited data plan that was "grandfathered" in because they no longer offer it. It had gone up to $35/mo which made no sense for me after retirement since I never used more than a couple hundred MB. So I switched to a 2gb/mo plan which again saved a bunch of money. Then as a surpise, they just doubled the plan to 4gb/mo at no charge last month.

It really depends on how you plan to use the phone, if you want to watch movies/sports/tv on your phone away from home, that can use a lot of data. You can also use a lot of data if you stream music on the phone away from home. But things like e-mail and web browsing don't use a lot and 2gb may be plenty. For GPS apps, if you install a map (like one of mine) on your phone there will be not data charges to use it. However these apps can also access maps over the internet. Casual use probably won't get into a lot of data, but heavy use (especially if you zoom way in) might be an issue.

There is no data charge when your phone is connected to wifi (at home or a restaurant), only when you are using the cellular data network. Unless you know of some data-intensive usage, get the 2gb plan and you can always upgrade at any time. There is an app to monitor your usage so you can keep track.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Of course that is a nice idea if you plan to keep the phone for a long time. But batteries have gotten pretty robust now and should be good for 4 or 5 years with normal use. My friend from Europe uses my old iPhone 4 when visiting the US. I bought that phone over 5 years ago and the battery is still fine. Battery life is getting dramatically better with each new generation of phone, and it may be hard to find smartphones with removable batteries now, it makes the phones larger and more expensive.

BTW, if you don't talk a lot, you could look at T-Mobile. They have plans with no monthly payments where you can deposit any amount you want and are only billed for the minutes/messages that you use. We set one of these up for my EU friend and I depost $10 annually to "keep it alive" until she visits again. The money just accumulates in the account until you use it.

No idea how good their coverage is, I have AT&T and previously had Verizon. There are some local variations in Southern NJ but I find the overall service very similar.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thank you very much for your advice Boyd. I realize you took quite a while writing your reply, and I will consider your suggestions carefully. I'm sure some others viewing this thread will be helped as well.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you only use text and talk and don't plan on using the internet other that through wifi, you should just get a GoPhone as I have and the cost will be exponentially cheeper. My phone was $60 and I by $100 of phone time and go 5 months or more before buying more time.

Unless you use your phone more than I think you do, you may want to see mine before you decide on anything.