SmartPhone photog's...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Guessing that it photographs an image on a ground glass screen inside there. That kind of adapter became popular with some people 10-15 years go as a way to get shallow depth of field with small chip camcorders. The good ones were expensive, the others had issues with vignetting and of course you lost a few f-stops from the ground glass.

Might be fun to play with, but a bit like "whipped cream on a t**d". The iPhone is great for all-around use, shot a bunch of fun clips at my Granddaughter's birthday party last month. But for more serious work, think I'll stick with my Sony XDCAM-EX CineAlta until I can afford an upgrade to another real camera. :)

Soderbergh likes to use cheap video cameras for feature films. Went to see one that he shot on an Canon XL-1 somewhere around 2002 (?) thinking it would be cool on the big screen. It looked really terrible though! :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Guessing that it photographs an image on a ground glass screen inside there.

I'm fairly certain it is straight thru the lens. Probably lose all the functionality in the lens a person pays big buck for. The only successful cross mounts I have seen are those that allow Canon body owners to utilize Nikon lenses.