Smooth Snake

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Found a smooth kind of snake today in a cold sphagnum bog that something else was chewing on. I have no idea what it is:

CREETURE.JPG

CREETUREE.JPG

Here's one for you. Who can identify this famous pine barren plant:

PLANT.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Famous is the key word I assume. I know it then ... I hope :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Righto Chris! By the way, can you see the snake photos? I see them fine. Guy say's he can't see them.

I can see them. It was the plant photo that was not working. I believe you had not capitolized the name and the link did not work.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I believe that is a worm snake Bob! That curly grass fern is a bit brown isn't it. When I see them, they seem quite green. Was this specimen dying?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I believe that is a worm snake Bob! That curly grass fern is a bit brown isn't it. When I see them, they seem quite green. Was this specimen dying?

Not dying, no. The upright fronds become fertile with spores this time of year and turn cinnamon-brown color.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
No, it is not a brown snake. It is a 100% pure Eastern Worm Snake. They are fairly common throughout the pine barrens but spend most of their lives underground burrowing.. especially in the hotter months of the year. That's why most people don't see them unless you look for them. Cool find.