Snake ID

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo of the lake and the snake together! I have never viewed that snake in the pines.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I believe what you have there is a pine snake. While it is commonly believed that they are not prone to water. I have witnessed them on two occassions in the water and one of those times it just sitting on the water motionless (very odd to see).

Jeff

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I told my baby brother it was a pine snake but would he believe me ??? Nooooo! Guess he got ticked cuz I out fished em LOL !

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
if i didn't know this was taken at batsto lake I'd say it was a california kingsnake.The coloring (black and white) and the pattern say cal king.the eastern native king has buch more black and a faint chain pettern.The pattern appears much too regular to be a pine and pines are brown and white but the water could make it appear darker.It also has the pattern of the northern water snake but wtare snakes are generally dark brown or flat black with brick red bands.I have come to the conclusion it's a california kingsnake that has gotten fed up with the earthquakes and Arnold Swartznegger.This is a male snake and it has obviously seen pictures on the internet of the beautiful female coastal plains milksnakes that reside in the NJ pine barrens and has caught a ride across country on a produce truck and is now swimming the lake looking for Carly Coastal who he had been chatting with since finding her Facebook page last summer.You will know this is a cal kingsnake if upon grasping it's tail it shouts "Gnarly Dude" before turning around and bites you on the hand.If it doesn't do this then it is just a plain south jersey "wet snake" and is best left alone.
Al

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
...You will know this is a cal kingsnake if upon grasping it's tail it shouts "Gnarly Dude" before turning around and bites you on the hand.If it doesn't do this then it is just a plain south jersey "wet snake" and is best left alone.
Al

Aren't all snakes best left alone? Not that I was scared or anything like that :)

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Great shot, I can't help with the ID... But I will say that I was at Batsto as well yesterday. Along the Mullica up to well above Constable, then down the Batsto all the way along the western side. I saw several canoes, kayaks, and a boat out there too, I probably saw you.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Great shot, I can't help with the ID... But I will say that I was at Batsto as well yesterday. Along the Mullica up to well above Constable, then down the Batsto all the way along the western side. I saw several canoes, kayaks, and a boat out there too, I probably saw you.

If you saw 2 guys in a blue canoe, constantly belittling and insulting each other, that was me and my brother.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
I've probably seen a hundred kings in the Barrens over the years but that one looks more like it's better looking relatives from the Carolina's. It could be that the water is making it look a little better but the yellow appears wider than normal for N.J. kings.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I asked a few other people I know and the consensus seems to be Kingsnake. I was surprised the picture came out as I'm still trying to learn how to use the camera, so I appreciate the kind words. Some flowers were just starting to poke up. I'm looking forward to trying some pictures of them a little later in the spring.
Greg

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
If you saw 2 guys in a blue canoe, constantly belittling and insulting each other, that was me and my brother.
Haha, to be honest... I didn't see the color of the canoe, but while walking along Batsto River Rd, above the village I did hear through the woods out on the lake an insult some guy hollered to another. It wouldn't be good to repeat it on this forum though haha.