Snapper

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Came upon this Snapper today. It was pretty sluggish and may have just emerged from the dead.

IMG_1067a.jpg

IMG_1072a.jpg

IMG_0206a.jpg

Visited a bog and found frog eggs.

IMG_0209a.jpg

And earlier this morning we were deep in the woods along the Pole Branch in a cedar swamp and I found this stand to be interesting. A nice swivel chair almost in the clouds.

IMG_1064a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Saw a crushed snapper on 206 right in Atsion and what looked like a large red belly crushed further south on 206.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Our day was not over this morning. Late this evening we headed to my moms to pick her and my brother up before we all headed to the pines to listen to the tree frogs and maybe even photograph them. My mom will be 90 this year and can't get around well but she was ready to go when I asked. We could not stay long and we were slightly early but we did get to hear them before we left.

My brother and my mom. She comes complete with her own walking stick :)

IMG_0212a.jpg

Jessica wandered around while we talked and she found this garter snake in a bush. Very friendly until my camera shutter went off.

IMG_1077a.jpg

Guy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I'm glad you got there. (I brought home many, many ticks). I saw the snapper and red-bellied on 206 also. Two formidable snappers on 563 Friday. and another on Chew Rd. good job on the snake pic!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice snapper. Probably pretty young (you know like 40). I found a very large snapper in a creek by my house (dead). I brought it back to my house, which was a very difficult and smelly job, and let it rot out in hopes of preserving it's shell and skeleton. Unfortunately, the scutes fell off before it fully decomposed. I wondered what killed it. The water I found it in was eutrophic due to fertilizers from a nearby farm but I don't suspect that means much to a turtle. Might have just been old age. It was certainly large enough. Perhaps a parasite or disease.

Anyway, I now have a great snapping turtle skull. I remember one year being at makepeace lake and being unable to drive around because of the unbelievable number of snapping turtles laying eggs in the sand roads. Must have been June. They were extremely aggressive and I would get them off the road by having them chase me until they were far enough to the side.
Then I had to be carful not to run over the eggs. It didn't take long for me to eventually just give up and return to pavement.

Jeff

David45

May 19, 2017
USA
Our day was not over this morning. Late this evening we headed to my moms to pick her and my brother up before we all headed to the pines to listen to the tree frogs and maybe even photograph them. My mom will be 90 this year and can't get around well but she was ready to go when I asked. We could not stay long and we were slightly early but we did get to hear them before we left.

My brother and my mom. She comes complete with her own walking stick :)

IMG_0212a.jpg

Jessica wandered around while we talked and she found this garter snake in a bush. Very friendly until my camera shutter went off.

IMG_1077a.jpg

Guy

why the snake is looking to me ? :( ohh god ... such a amazing