snapping turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What angers me more is the stupid comment below it where the person said it was just a turtle. We need to find them and light them on fire like they did the turtle.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If they would do that to a turtle next they will graduate to cats and dogs and then to babies and smaller kids,anyone or anything weaker then they are.Their not only murderers since the turtles death was to no purpose but cowards as well.Mayhaps we should give them to the lions so they could see what it feels like to be someones toy.
Al

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Regarding the first photo in the thread, it’s not a good idea to pick up a snapper by its tail. It is no doubt the safest way for the person holding it (providing it is held far enough from your body for that long neck to not reach you) but it can cause injury to the vertebrae of the turtle. I know it is a traditional method and some might say they’ve been doing it for years without hurting a turtle, but it’s not as if the turtle can complain about the pain, and an injury would not be immediately apparent. That said, it is always nice to see someone helping one across the street. The boy scouts can help the little old ladies (do they still do that?) but I’m with the turtles!

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
for the past 2 days on 206 at the bridge in the great swamp, there has been a snapper facing directly into the rail . At first I was going to help him but I have no idea how to handle one properly. Then my girlfreind passed it yesterday. I hoping its alive and just prefers that spot as a sunbathing spot. I hoping it is not dead or trying to get back to the water and cant. I'd go there today to see butI'm leaving straight from work to South Carolina

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
we were always told to get a large stick (in relation) to the snapper. get him to bite it in the middle, then move him out of the road.....it actually worked for me once.

last summer I attempted to rescue a pretty good size snapper near Harrisville Pond. It wasn't cooporating and so I was waving cars around the turtle while trying to push him from behind to the side of the street (direction he was facing). I got him into the grass and he turned around and headed back into the street. A car flew over top of him and the turtle practically ran back to the lake side of the street.

I have seen turtles run over on the shoulder of the road...you know they were aimed for..I don't get it! It makes me very angry to see them!

Summer before last, while paddling the Mullica below the Beaver Pond, we were treated to a sighting of a snapper way up on a high sandy bank laying eggs. I think it was mid June.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
This thread peaked my curiosity in Snappers and I found this site http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/snappers.htm which provides a lot of good info. So I am passing it along.

Fascinating article. As for a punishment for these two bozos (sorry Bozo), how about they take a nice semi rotting piece of fish, rub it all over their hands, then put the piece in their hands and somehow, superglue their hands closed around the fish. Then, force them to hold their hands in a shallow tank with a few hungry adult snappers.
I'm really not sick, just tired of animal cruelty and the light penalties for it.