Solar flares disrupting GPS reception

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2007/s2831.htm

"In December, we found the effect on GPS receivers were more profound and wide spread than we expected," said Paul Kintner, Ph.D., professor of electrical and computer engineering at Cornell University. "Now we are concerned more severe consequences will occur during the next solar maximum."

"This solar radio burst occurred during the solar minimum, yet produced as much as 10 times more radio noise than the previous record," said Dale Gary, Ph.D., chair and professor of the physics department at New Jersey Institute of Technology. "Measurements with NJIT's solar radiotelescope confirmed, at its peak, the burst produced 20,000 times more radio emission than the entire rest of the sun. This was enough to swamp GPS receivers over the entire sunlit side of Earth."

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
It is interesting how active the sun is considering we are at the solar minimum.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_output_030320.html

The solar activity is the real cause of the warming trend that the Earth is going through, the idea that humans are to blame is ridiculous.There is however a lot of money to be made in ecotaxes and carbon offsets.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/astro/2001-12-07-mars-melting-icecap.htm
If we are the cause of warming here what is the cause of martian warming?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe I can blame my GPS problems on that. It never seems to be accurate anymore :)

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
grendel said:
The solar activity is the real cause of the warming trend that the Earth is going through, the idea that humans are to blame is ridiculous.

Hey grendel, why do you think that global warming is caused by solar activity alone and why do you feel that it is ridiculous to attribute (at least in part) the warming to human activity?

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Pinelandpaddler,
The U.N.Says that the main greenhouse gas is co2,they also tell us that human activity is responsible for only 4% of the annual output. Melting permafrost is the biggest contributor. Glaciers around the globe have been in retreat for centuries, not decades.There is no scientific"consensus" on the subject. First of all science is not about consensus it is about facts, secondly any scientist who disagrees with the "consensus" is either accused of being paid off by the oil companies or just can not get thier findings reported by the main stream media. This is all about money, mark my words within the next decade YOU will be buying carbon offsets, and not by choice. Just follow the money and you will find the scam.
Also, I really find the martian polar melting compelling, and the increase in solar output in the last century is well documented.
Another thing, do you know that a thousand years ago they were growing grapes in England so well that the French were worried about the loss of the wine industry.They no longer grow grapes in England it is to cold now.The Vikings were growing grapes in Greenland in the same time period, those vineyards are now covered in ice.
It is not that the Earth is now warming it is recovering from a cooling period.
Not every scientist sees such a dismal future from this warming,try a google on benefits of global warming.You will be surprised.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
This explains alot.
My Garmin Etrex screwed up bad back in that period mentioned.
Actually degraded in performance then shut down totally. Would not even turn on. I checked power, volts input, etc. Now I thought, I'm screwed. Called Garmin ( Excellent Tech, customer service, nice, well informed and helpful people! )
Was informed my unit recieved "corrupt" information and protected itself.
Wow! They said there were a number of possibilities when I asked how that could be. They talked me through a strange sequence of holding different buttons in different order and darned if the little booger didn't turn back on right in my hand and start "rebooting" as the tech person put it.
In the event anyone ever needs to call, The Garmin folks are aces.

g.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I've had a several instances driving around where the GPS suddenly lost signal for no apparent reason, in the middle of a wide open highway on a clear day. But as handy as GPS'es are, they are not especially accurate when you're walking around the woods. I've tried to plot my property line with my Garmin, and I get readings which vary significantly from hour to hour and day to day. Being off by 30 feet isn't such a big deal when you're walking around, but not so good if you're looking for a property marker.

I'm glad there are a few others here who enjoy discussing GPS instead of promoting their political/environmental agenda...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, did you happen to notice that the Iranians, when they accused the Brits of straying in their territory, used the very same GPS you and I have (Etrex Legend) to prove their point? I thought that was hilarious.

No I did not see that. I have not watched the news in a while.

What would the rest of the world do without this countries companies? They hate us so much, but use everything we make.

I knew I should have made that GPS satellite part wrong at work :D

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That's a pretty substantial error, is it consistently off by that much? Are you sure the GPS is wrong and not the map? There are a lot of factors, like the weather, trees and buildings, etc. Try walking down the same road/path in an open area multiple times with tracking turned on and see how closely the tracks align to get an idea of whether the error is consistent.

But I don't think there's much you can do about it, unless it's still under warranty and you can provide some evidence (like the test above) to convince the manufacturer or store to replace it. See Largo's post above though... might be worth a call to Garmin tech support.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ok, it`s working fine now. Had to bang it on the table a few times, right on the money now.
Thanks for your help.

That sounds like mine. I have to bang it all the time. It constantly goes off and on and it is so inaccurate at times. I feel your pain.

Guy