Some Herp Fauna for a Winter's Day

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Folks,

I wanted to share some photos that I've taken this year and last of some of the herps in our state. I'm doing a lot of studying of these species, as one day I hope to become more involved in their conservation, so I am sharing a little blurb about each one. Hope you all enjoy this thread!

Yellow-spotted salamanders are in the family Ambystomatidae, and the genus Ambystoma (mole salamanders). These obligate vernal pool breeders are rarely seen outside of their breeding season, as they spend much of their lives underground.

A juvenile flipped under a log:

ry%3D480

As with all New Jersey salamanders, fertilization is by internal fertilization by an externally placed spermatophore. Males will compete with one another by 'spermatophore capping', ensuring that the later-placed spermatophore will fertilize the female first when she picks it up.

ry%3D480

The eggs of this salamander have a symbiotic relationship with the algae Oophilia amblystomatis. The algae benefit from the nitrogenous waste generated by the developing embryo, and the embryo benefits from the oxygen produced by the algae.

Also an Ambystoma, the marbled salamander is an autumnal vernal pool breeder. This salamander may be found guarding eggs in the dried depressions that will fill with rain during the early autumn months.

ry%3D400

Red-backed salamanders are the most abundant vertebrate in Eastern forests. In the family Plethodontidae (lungless salamanders), they are in the genera Plethodon ("many teeth") and are among the only amphibians that do not lay their eggs in water. Their courtship rituals are fascinating, with the male biting the female and placing a disk-shaped gland over the cut to allow pheromones to leach in.

ry%3D480

Red-backed salamanders have recently been found to harbor a bacterium which helps to protect it from fungal infections such as Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (Bd, aka chytrid fungus), a fungal disease that is devastating many amphibian populations.

Chemoreception is a crucial part of their natural history. As such, Plethodontidae have nasolabial grooves (nose to lip) to facilitate communication with pheromones. The males will mark territory with pellets (poop) and the females will mash their noses into the pellet to determine the quality of a male as a mate.

ry%3D400

Not all red-backed salamanders have a red back, some can be orange, gold, white, or gray. There is also a leadback (stripeless) phase which gives the redback its species name cinereus ("of ash").

ry%3D480

Slimy salamanders: also in the genus Plethodon, these salamanders are more commonly found from Hunterdon county and North. They can also be very common in appropriate habitat. They have similar courtship rituals, and you can see the ritual in the photo below:

ry%3D480

The Northern 2-lined salamander is an abundant brookside salamander from Trenton to points North. These salamanders are a major prey item and are an important link between aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.

ry%3D480

They will often autotomize their tails when threatened, and they have the ability to run very fast to escape predation. They will lay their eggs communally. Here are a small number of 2-lined salamander eggs with the tadpoles developing inside:

ry%3D400

Northern dusky salamanders are unique plethodontid salamanders in the genera Desmognathus. They are palatable to predators, so they rely on pattern variability and the ability to run very fast and even jump to avoid predation. This is one of the only salamanders in NJ which may attempt to bite!

ry%3D480

As with most salamanders, duskies will also autotomize their tails. They are a major prey item of the larger spring salamander (Gyrinophilus).

Duskies lay their eggs streamside in late summer, and the female will guard the eggs. My 3 year old was ecstatic to flip this mommy and her eggs:

ry%3D480

Red salamanders are beautiful but less commonly found plethodontids. They are considered mimics of the red-spotted newt, which harbors a potent toxin in glands in its skin. In fact the genus name 'Pseudotriton' means "false newt".

ry%3D480

As these salamanders age, their spots begin to 'run together' and their skin darkens to an almost purple hue:

ry%3D400

Their larvae are also quite pretty:

ry%3D480

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Wood frogs have the unique adaptation of being freeze-tolerant. When the tips of their extremities begin to freeze, their liver begins to quickly convert glycogen to glucose. The glucose fills the cells and acts as a natural antifreeze. Spring peepers, chorus frogs, and gray treefrogs are also freeze tolerant.

ry%3D480

Wood frogs are explosive, obligate vernal pool breeders. Although appearing to be copulating, these frogs are in amplexus, and will be a mating pair. The female will move to an appropriate egg-laying site with the male on her back. The female (bottom) will proceed to lay her eggs, while the male on top will dribble sperm on the eggs to complete fertilization.

ry%3D480

As these frogs are explosive breeders, there is no 'mating territory' set up as with other prolonged breeders such as bullfrogs. For that reason, male wood frogs will sometimes bully other male wood frogs off of the female during amplexus. At times, so many males may pile onto the female that a mating ball may be formed, with the female almost being drowned:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Wood frogs and spotted salamanders often breed in the same pools within their range, therefore reliable identification of their egg masses is important to identify their presence. Spotted salamanders' eggs are sometimes milky in their appearance, and are surrounded by a jelly-like mass:

ry%3D480

Wood frogs' egg masses are 'bubbly' in appearance, as they lack the jelly-like envelope around the eggs:

ry%3D480

Also a very early breeder, spring peepers are a commonly heard but seldom-seen frog in the family Hylidae (tree frogs). More closely related to the chorus frogs than the gray treefrogs, PBTF's or green tree frogs, they are in the genus Pseudacris ("false locust"). Unlike wood frogs, this species is territorial, and careful observations of their vocalizations will often turn up territorial vocalizations within the frogs' chorus. These territorial vocalizations are almost identical to those of chorus frogs, and for that reason, many people believe that they hear chorus frogs near peepers' territories.

ry%3D400

The taxonomic name for the spring peeper is Pseudacris crucifer, crucifer meaning 'one who bears a cross', referring to the x-shaped marking on the back:

ry%3D400

The pickerel frog is a commonly found frog near streams, especially from Burlington County and North. I have found juvenile pickerel frogs overwintering in spring seeps along with green frogs and several species of salamanders:

ry%3D400

During breeding season, the colors of the pickerel frogs darken. Note the warning coloration under the legs, which is usually yellow or orange but takes on a greenish tint in the picture below. This coloration warns predators that the frog is unpalatable.

ry%3D480

Leopard frogs are often mistaken for pickerel frogs, but lack the warning coloration. Their vocalizations are distinct, with the pickerel frog being more of a snore, while the Southern leopard frog has a chuckling vocalization with the quality of a finger being rubbed across a wet balloon. To distinguish between the leopard frog and the pickerel frog, look for the white spot on the tympanum (eardrum):

ry%3D480

Green frogs are a common frog with a statewide distribution. Their banjo-like vocalization is a familiar sound of summer evenings, while their alarm call, a high-pitched 'eek!', gives them their taxonomic name, Lithobates clamitans (clamitans = to exclaim).

ry%3D400

To tell if a green frog is male or female, in a male the tympanum appears larger than the eye, as in the picture above. In females, the tympanum is smaller:

ry%3D480

Bullfrogs are also a common species in the state, with a familiar, relaxing call that is familiar to fishermen. Introductions of bullfrogs in other areas of the United States have been troublesome for other species living there, as bullfrogs will seemingly eat anything that they can fit into their mouths. To differentiate green frogs and bullfrogs, look for the dorsolateral ridge to go down the back of a green frog (as in the pictures above), while the ridge will wrap around the eardrum of the bullfrog, as in the photo below:

ry%3D480

Last edited:

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Gray treefrogs, green treefrogs, and Pine Barrens tree frogs are all in the genus Hyla. In Greek mythology, Heracles (Hercules) mentored a young boy who he loved as though he was his son. One day when the boy was grown, he and Heracles were on an island and the boy was kidnapped by water goddesses and held captive in a well. Heracles cried out for the boy, and he could hear the boy's cries coming from the water, but he could not find him. The boy's name was Hylas, an appropriate analogy to how often these frogs may be heard but not seen.

Hyla andersonii, the Pine Barrens tree frog:

ry%3D480

Hyla cinerea, the green tree frog:

ry%3D480

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Painted turtles are among the most common turtles in New Jersey, and are very tolerant of disturbance. Their young, like some species of frogs, can withstand freezing.

ry%3D400

These turtles also have a fascinating courtship ritual, where the female attracts the male with pheromones, and then he caresses her face with his long claws as a pre-mating ritual, while she returns the caress if interested. If she does not swim away during the ritual, it's on!

ry%3D480

Mud turtles are endangered in some parts of their range, while they remain common in others. These turtles, as with many other herp species, are threatened by collection for the pet trade.

ry%3D480

Box turtles are an attractive, mostly terrestrial turtle that are also threatened by collecting. Other threats include nest digs, in which the nest is dug up by predators such as raccoon, skunks and possums. Telltale signs of this type of foraging are often observed.

Little guy:

ry%3D480

Also freeze-tolerant, these turtles sometimes live for a full century.

A female digging her nest:

ry%3D480

I have read conflicting accounts of the reliability of sex determination for box turtles. According to many sources, red eyes mean a male turtle, although it is said that this is not completely reliable. Longer tail length, as well as the presence of a concave plastron (to facilitate mating) is a more reliable method of determining if it is a male turtle. I'd love to hear more thoughts on this if the folks here would share...

ry%3D480

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I will always have a love of garter snakes. Most likely, this comes from childhood, or even watching my sons' discovery of and interaction with these beautiful and underappreciated serpents. Their variability in both pattern and personality makes them extremely interesting to me. These live-bearing natricine snakes are more aquatic than many realize, being found close to streams in the spring in search of their favorite prey, frogs.

Garter snake in defensive posture, head tucked and tail waving:

ry%3D480

Curious and docile garter, patiently posing while my 3-year old asked if he ate pizza:

ry%3D480

Well-fed garter with a splash of blue:

ry%3D480

Mating garters found next to vernal pool:

ry%3D480

Bambino:

ry%3D480

Many harmless colubrid snakes will flatten their heads as an antipredatory behavior. Flattening the head makes the snake appear more like a viper. Studies done on the behavior of predators shows that this is effective, as the predators are more likely to recognize head shape than body patterning:

ry%3D480

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Thanks for putting all of this info together Mark.... If you want to bring your son to our New Year's hike, you'll have a willing audience of interested folks who would appreciate hearing about your studies this year.... plus we have a good time. :)

Terry

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Water snakes have the unfortunate distinction of being an extremely foul-tempered snake. Although these snakes can be quite attractive, they do have a habit of emitting lots of foul-smelling musk and poop while simultaneously biting with their hooked teeth if they feel threatened. They are also frequently mistaken for water moccasins. Although their banding patterns are similar to water moccasins, this misidentification is possibly exacerbated by the habit of flattening their heads when threatened as the garter snakes do.

ry%3D480

When a snake is in ecdysis (shedding), the upper (old) layer of skin is separated from the lower, and lymphatic fluid is spread between the layers. This gives the eerie blue-eyed appearance of snakes that are "in need of a shed".

ry%3D480

In the genus Nerodia, the name being derived from a Greek word nero ("of water"), these snakes are also live-bearing natricines, the largest females potentially producing over 70 young at a time, the largest cited being 99. The young are particularly pretty, and often showcase the variability in banding colors of red, yellow, or white:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Adult water snakes are also variable in their appearance as well as their disposition. This very pretty young lady with a docile disposition was found at Pakim Pond. Although she is most likely darkened by tannins, she definitely appears more blackened than water snakes that I often see in the Pine Barrens:

ry%3D480

Last edited:
Reactions: John and Teegate

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Most Garter snakes I see are very close to water.I've always thought of them as a semi water snake.I forgot to tell you I caught a Cottonmouth on vacation crossing a road at night.had the camera packed away but he did do the signature head tilt and mouth display.I released him on the other side of the road.I think he was sucking up warmth from the blacktop since it had dropped to about 50 and was still dropping.It had been 80 only a couple hours previously.I took him into the swamp before someone ran over him.He probably headed right back to the road after I left.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Racers have the taxonomic name Coluber constrictor, although they are not constrictors at all. These lightning-fast, gunmetal gray snakes are highly aggressive and hypervigilant, and they are typically seen 'periscoping', suggesting that vision is an important component in their foraging. They are ophidiophagous, meaning that they will sometimes eat other snakes.

If this guy looks like it is about to bite me, it's because it bit me a few seconds after the picture was taken:

ry%3D480

Racers are egg-layers, and I was fortunate to find an egg clutch this summer. I watched the egg clutch for a while, and got to observe something amazing:

ry%3D480

Yup, that's a face:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Here is a picture of mommy, content under an adjacent board:

ry%3D480

Last edited:
Reactions: John

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
There are two subspecies of ring-necked snake in New Jersey, the Northern and the Southern. Both are small, secretive snakes that rely on cover and are rarely if ever seen out in the open. These snakes are egg-layers, and their preferred prey are earthworms and salamanders. The Northern ring-necked snake has a complete collar and a plain belly, with no markings:

ry%3D480

The Southern ring-necked snake has an incomplete collar and a belly with half-moon markings on it:

ry%3D480

To further complicate diagnostics, these two subspecies will sometimes intergrade, so you will find ring-necked snakes with complete neck collars and belly markings:

ry%3D480

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Dekay's brown snakes are small, live-bearing snakes that are extremely tolerant of human disturbance. So much that their population densities are often highest in abandoned urban lots where foundations and abundant cover provide refuge and hibernacula. Although secretive like the ring-necked snake, these snakes will sometimes be seen basking or foraging. They also seem to be tolerant of colder temperatures, like garter snakes, and are often seen later in the year. The bulk of their diet is said to be earthworms and snails, as such they may be found in gardens lined by shale or other stones. However, I have seen them in areas that seem to have higher abundances of crickets.

ry%3D480

To differentiate between brown snakes and garters, look for the black spot beneath the eye to indicate a brown snake:

ry%3D480

Brown snakes and red-bellied snakes are both in the genus Storeria. Red-bellied snakes are also common in appropriate habitat. Red-bellied snakes can demonstrate a lot of variability in ground color, ranging from brown to gray to black. These are New Jersey's smallest snakes:

ry%3D480

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Have seen very few Red Bellies in NJ.See lots in WV.In NJ have seen a few in swamps.Find a lot of Dekay in Millville by the river.Worms too under tiles from an old fell down factory complex.It's all been cleaned up now.Found a Queen snake in WV.I hear they occasionally cross the Delaware into NJ.Ever found one here?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
The black rat snake is a semi-arboreal constrictor that plays an important ecological role in rodent control. Often encountered while basking, these shiny-black beauties often strike a sense of horror in the uninitiated (based on personal observation). This is most likely because of their size, which is often 5 or 6 feet in length for a fully-grown adult:

ry%3D480

Of variable disposition, they do know how to put on a threat display:

ry%3D480

Milk snakes, also constrictors, are rarely seen. These may be my favorite snakes in New Jersey, and I hope to photograph more of them next year. The juveniles showcase their amazing coloration:

ry%3D480

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for reading folks, I'm laid up with a stomach bug so I've been in and out of this thread all day. I didn't realize it would take me this long! All of the pictures in this thread were taken in our home state of New Jersey. I've had great fun so far observing and photographing these beautiful and amazing creatures. I always tell my sons and my students to never overlook what they perceive as the "common stuff", as there is always the extraordinary in the ordinary. I've even learned a few good lessons from herping:

Always keep your chin up:

ry%3D480

Watch where you put your hands:

ry%3D480

Watch where you step:

ry%3D480

Expect the unexpected:

ry%3D480

Sometimes you need to have a little attitude:

ry%3D480

Make friends along the way:

ry%3D480

Always show your true colors:

ry%3D480

...and teach the next generation to love herps too:

ry%3D480

Thanks for looking, folks. My tremendous appreciation, as always, goes to Joc and Al for all that I have learned from them, as well as Dragoncjo and the seemingly unanimous culture of vigilance on this site to protect these species from unscrupulous characters.

Reactions: h2ochild and John

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Al, good on you for crossing the cottonmouth safely. Lots of people would have hit him on purpose. As far as queen snakes, there have been no records of queen snakes here since 1977. They are currently considered extirpated as far as I know. If someone found a queen snake in New Jersey, it would cause quite a stir. Their primary food sources are freshly molted crayfish.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Was the Copperhead pic taken at the location we went to?Would that be a brightly colored eastern milk or coastal plains milk? If I am correct I don't believe coastals occur up your way,only in the Barrens.Correct?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Chile,

I can't thank you enough for what you have put forth here. I am well aware of the amount of effort you had to put into your display of pictures. Well done!

- I agree with you on your favoring of Milks. My top three, in no particular order, are Coastals, Corns and Timbers.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hey Al,

No on the copperhead pic. The milk snake was a juvenile Eastern milk snake. I've read that coastals range near us, but I don't believe so.