Some Thoughts on Egg Harbour and Peace by John Fanning Watson

Name of Egg Harbour.
I think, I ascertained at Absecum beach, called Atlantic City now, from “the oldest inhabitants,” why we have had the name of Egg Harbour, for the long sea coast of Jersey—It meant, the egg-shelter—a place of pre-eminent security for Birds, and their eggs—Many kinds of large birds, as seen there, only thirty years ago, built their nests in the tops of the numerous trees, once growing along the front beaches of the whole New Jersey Coast,—so that an individual standing on the top of the front line of sand mount, (cast up by the winds) could look into the nests and see many large eggs, good for eating—These and the grape vines, hanging to every tree, made the region of Sea coast—both the place of Eggs,—and also, as the Northmen, called it, the vinland. The former big birds, and their eggs, are now greatly gone—The Mud hens, were once very numerous throughout the whole area of marsh grass in the Sound, being seven miles over in width—There the hens—raised piles of Mud—two feet high—in the tops of which they laid their eggs—But now the hens and nests, are rarely found. What a time, must once had been, for the “poor Indian,” to have been gatherers of such cheap and ready food! And how ready there, for their use, oysters, clams, crabs, fish—Alas, poor Indian now westward driven! Such their destiny—such our inheritance now! One cannot reflect upon the vast changes man effect! By and bye, we shall see Railroads traversing our continent from the Atlantic to the Pacific—How much wiser to preserve Peace relations—for benefitting mankind, than to exhaust all of our means in senseless Wars! An hundred million wasted in War, would build Railroads across our Continent! Let us sedulously cultivate and preserve peace. Such was my spontaneous reflections while standing on the Sand hills of great Egg Harbour. (p. 611)

Watson, John Fanning
1860 Annals of Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, in the Olden Time ; Being a Collection of Memoirs, Anecdote, and Incidents of the City and Its Inhabitants, and of the Earliest Settlements of the Inland Part of Pennsylvania, from the Days of the Founders. Volume II. Elijah Thomas, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

I hope you enjoyed reading these thoughts from Philadelphia’s renown nineteenth century historian!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Very interesting, and almost childlike in its plaintive tone (not to mention diction and syntax) toward the end. I have not heard previously that explanation for the Norse name 'Vinland' as applied to North America.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Wowww!
Now that's some writing. Took me a couple times to get my head around it.
And what wonders it must have taken to bring a man to express in such a manner. Truly an amazing area and equally an amazing account.
Thanks for sharing.

g.

Oct 25, 2006
Once again without fail Jerseyman comes through with another intersting and fascinating read. Thank You.

Jim