Song Dogs in The Dark and A Duck

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
This morning, just a little before O'dark thirty, me and a buddy were setting up along a creek in the pines for wood ducks. We arrived at our parking spot at 05:45 and as we were putting on our gear, a pack of coyotes were carrying on in the distance off to the north. My buddy's dog Tala was with us and she is an Australian Cattle Dog that he has trained to retrieve. She was very intrigued with the howling. I will post a pic of her later retrieving a woodie. She actually looks a lot like a coyote.

After we walked 3/4 mile into our spot we still had fifteen minutes until shooting light. As we stood there taking in the silence it was suddenly broken by a pack of coyotes about 100 yards to our west. Tala looked a little intimidated and stayed at our feet. I was able to capture a 47 second calling session with my handy new iPhone. There was not enough light to catch the sky very well but if you brighten your monitor you may be able to see a little bit.

Here is the soundtrack:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very cool Scott! Sounds like a real pack of 'em.

How far were you away from any residence's, miles?
Yes Bob, miles.
The two packs we heard today were two different packs based on the distances and the geography of where we were parked and where we headed. Each pack sounded like they had at least 5 members.

Here is Tala. I told my buddy he better spray paint her orange real soon.
When she trots through the woods she looks like a cross between a fox and a coyote.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Very nice Scott. Sometimes I hear them in my woods, it is very spooky. For a long time I wondered what I was hearing, not sure if it was some kind of strange bird or something. Then it suddenly dawned on me that they were coyotes, and not terribly far away either. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice recording Scott. Thanks! Jessica and I were at the first TT stone we found and had one moan very close to us and it slightly freaked Jessica out.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
(please tell Bob that he had a whistle too.....and a big stick)
We have them in the woods behind our place. When I sleep with the windows open, they usually start up just before 4 AM, waking me up.