Sound identification

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I was out in Wharton last night in the Hampton Rd area and heard some great sounds coming from the a small area near the intersection of Stokes and Hampton Rds. I recognized a tree frog and a bull frog, but there was a third sound (dubbed the "screechy thing", hehe) that I could not identify. If you listen to the audio clip (not great quality, it was recoded on my iPhone) one of the first sounds you hear is the one I wasn't sure about. A little further into it, you can hear the tree frog. I actually spotted him sitting on a branch about 2 feet off of the road.

Does anyone know what the "screechy" sound is? Other than the bull frog and the tree frog, I did not spot any other creature, but it sounded really close to the road.

ETA: trying to upload file.... Stay tuned...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can't attach sound files to your posts. The easiest way for the moment is to send it to me. Bill has found a site where you can sign up and upload sounds, so he may be able to help you in the future.

Guy

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Thanks Guy! I think it is a different sound than the file you sent me, but I can not be sure. Let me know what you think. I sent you the file...

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
the constant frog calling is a grey treefrog (northern) the screechy sound is a fowlers toad.Bill will be offline sometime.he had a computer crash and will not be able to get another computer for awhile.he may sporadically post from work but will not be able to do pics and sound files from there.
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Thanks Al!!!! They sure made a lot of noise for such little creatures! Correct pics?

Bufo_6759.jpg

Northern Grey Tree Frog

bfowlelg.jpg

Fowlers Toad

This was my first time searching for and trying to identify the sounds of the pines. I am so glad I recorded it. Am thinking it would make a cool ringtone, hehe....

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Guy,

No, I googled them to see what they looked like. I took a couple of photos of the tree frog with my phone, but it was too dark (almost midnight) and the flashlight shining on them made them less than optimum.

I will be out there again with my camera.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I believe the photo's Gipsie posted are free and legal, and I don't want to make a big deal out of this; however, if a photo is not yours you can't have it display in the posts, especially without giving credit to the photographer and the link to the site where the photo is. We very recently received an email from a photographer who had a copyrighted photo displaying on this site from a member here who did not get permission to do so. We were asked to remove it which we did. So if you want to post photo's that are not yours and not free, just put the links to them in your post. This insures that the photo stays on the site where it originated and that person or website can get credit for it.

With that said, even I have been guilty of posting aerial photo's from Google, Live Maps, etc in my posts and neglecting to leave the copyright displaying. I am going to make sure in the future that I crop the photo and leave it in.

Example

water.jpg

Guy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Guy,
On the flip side of that, how does one add his or her name to their own photos that they post on this site like you, Ed and many others do? I never looked into doing that, but perhaps it's something to consider.
Thanks,

turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,
On the flip side of that, how does one add his or her name to their own photos that they post on this site like you, Ed and many others do? I never looked into doing that, but perhaps it's something to consider.
Thanks,

turtle

There are various programs to do that, maybe even the one that came with your camera. I use a program that is available for Mac and Windows but it is not free. And it has it's flaws and quirks. I am sure there are better ones available. I have viewed a few on this site that look quite good.

The one I use. I would suggest that everyone add something to their photo's. It only takes a few seconds once you get it set up.

http://www.plumamazing.com/mac/iwatermark

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes they appear to be correct though i will point out northern grey treefrogs and southerns can only be told apart by song and DNA,not by sight and to tell a fowlers from an american toad takes a wart count in the parotid glands.were not supposed to have american toads in south jersey,only in north jersey.i once heard what I know were american toads at Menantico WMA but i didn't hunt them down for ID.If I ever hear them again I will.
Al